Find
Notify
Tools

deer carrying device..help please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys i need a bit of help.

A while back a kiwi bloke posted details of a deer carrying harness which consisted of a sheet of tarpaulin with a length of rope threaded through it. When tightened and tied, he could then carry it on his back.

Can anyone direct me to these details, pics or making instructions?

Thanks

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
"sheet of tarpaulin with a length of rope threaded through it."

Not sure about this Scotsgun,but you turn a deer into a pack,by cutting front and back legs,ill see if i have a photo.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotsGun:
Guys i need a bit of help.

A while back a kiwi bloke posted details of a deer carrying harness which consisted of a sheet of tarpaulin with a length of rope threaded through it. When tightened and tied, he could then carry it on his back.

Scotsgun,

Bushwear sell a refined version of that as the Youle roe sack...

Its actually a flat water proof sheet you drop the roe on and then fold over and lace together..

One half of the sheet has a couple of straps sewn onto it so it can be carried like a rucksack...

I have one and it works quite well..

If you have Ian Alcocks book "Stalking Deer in Great Britain", on page 81, there is a diagram of a slighlty more fancy version with buckles and straps to secure the folded halves together..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete....

Men of Harlech without the lyrics is a travesty...

My forefathers in Llandudno would be most upset...

Pete O....

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rugeruser,

If its good enough for the Welsh Guards, it good enough for me! *lol*

Actually I was looking for an online version by the Pipes and Drums of the Royal Welch Fusilers, but that arrangement by the Guards was as close as I got..

BTW, Llandudno, is only about 60 minutes away from me, do you still have any relatives in the area?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

No worries...

It's still a stirring song.

As to having relo's over there, I believe there are a few, however I'm fourth generation (father's side), third gen on my mother's side here, so they'd be fairly distant.

Strangely enough though, we were all imbued with a strong connection to Wales...

Cheers,

Pete

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cheers guys....i'll have a look.

Just out of interest...how large is the yule when opened?

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Scotsgun,

Sorry for the late reply; I've been away not shooting deer! Roll Eyes

If the weathers ok tomorrow, I'll unfold it on the lawn and take a picture & measure it up...Without understanding the shape, the measurements won't mean much..

Regardless of the size, I wouldn't load it with anything heavier than a roe as the material has been kept fairly light weight so the whole thing folds up small.In fact, rolled up it will probably fit into the old 58 pattern water bottle pouch,

Regards,

Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is one method I use to get game out to my ute. This is a two wheel (air filled tires) "dolly" or "truck".

And this is another method. Dragging behind my quad.

Have a good one!

Robin in Rocky

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote