Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in NZ
 Login/Join

posted
I will be visiting NZ in Nov. (South Island) and hope to be able to do a few days of hunting. Nothing too fancy - I was thinking goats, pigs etc. I do not plan to bring my own rifle but I am a bit uncertain in regards to hunting license etc. Any suggestions (adresses). Many thx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not intending to hijack this thread, but I will be hunting in New Zealand in April of 2006, and will be watching this thread to see what help you get. Is it difficult to bring firearms and ammunition into New Zealand? Should the ammo and rifle be packed separately, or as TSA suggests, together in a locked case? What permits should one apply for in advance? Do the NZ authorities recognize Canada's gun registration?
Also, thanks in advance for the help.
George

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried to bring a rifle into Kiwiland, but I've had lots of pleasant dealings with the NZ police in the course of my normal business.

In the baggage collection area there will be notices re firearms, and a small police presence. See them and take care of your permits, etc.

Don't pack firearms and and ammo together. Irrespective of what the TSA say (they aren't in the real world after all...). No more than 5 kgs of ammo (ICAO rules).

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Guys - bringing a firearm or ammo into new Zealand isnt difficult . Your airline will have requirements for how the goods should be packed , most likely to be in an airline approved case , bolt out and packed in your checked luggage . Ammo will need to be in either original packaging or approved packs - like caseguard packs etc . Not more than 5 Kilos of ammo per person and not all in one case if there are two of you -ie individual lots in your own suitcases .All this is in accordance with the IATA regulations that govern the carriage of all things on airlines.

On arrival at your NZ point of entry airport report to the NZ Police counter with your firearm and proof of legal ownership in your home country - like your local gunlicence , and you will be issued with a Visitors Firearm Licence. No good bringing your AK-47 or handguns tho - you wont get a licence to use them , and will likely lose them as well .

I would suggest you should use a hunting guide for your time here - they have the local knowledge and will save you a lot of stress in finding places to hunt , as well as increasing your chances of success.

Just my ideas , others may be able to add more .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bringing in a sporting rifle and ammunition is not difficult here in Godzone Country.
You should present yourself with rifle and ammunition to the police at the airport, a special firearms dept exists which is clearly marked. You will have to purchase a temporary licence which last for a year. They used to be $20 but could be more now. The police dept for firearms is, or used to be, close to the luggage pickup and is before customs.
There are no hunting licence as such. If you are wanting to hunt on crown land then a permit is free and can be obtained from designated sports stores or direct from DOC (The Dept of Conservation). The airline you travel with will determine how the rifle and ammunition is brought into the country; ie separate or together. Once here internal carriers will inform you of their policy, though you could allways contact them in advance and ask what they want you to do.
April is the month for hunting, it's the rutting season, called "the roar" here. Red and Sika hunting is at it's best in April.
It is possible to hunt 365 days of the year here for free.
Good luck, I'm sure you will have a great time where ever you spend your holiday, we are in the main a freindly and welcoming bunch.

Just remember we like to tease Australians and Poms (the English)and don't like braggards. If you tell us Aussies have big mouths and Poms moan for a living that should be enough to get you through your stay. We know it's rubbish but we like to hear it and to say it. Smiler
Don't what ever you do tell an Aussie that we don't realy dislike him, actualy a good Aussie is not a bad bloke. Wink

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys

I'm not done much hunting these last few years but am happy to help anyone visiting to identify possible hunting areas on public lands. Having said this, the South Island is a big place, despite the small look of it on a world map !! I've hunted over much of it on the eastern side of the Southern Alps and now live in Southland, right at the southern end. Goats and Wallaby are easy to arrange and "guarantee", deer and Chamois are a lot harder and its not every hunt you'll see an animal, much less shoot one, and if you want a Trophy Stag or Tahr, then it will be a lot of work and time to achieve sucess.

You'll need to identify the areas that most interest you to visit (assuming you are not coming out soley to hunt) then I can help from there.

Having said all this NZ guides are very reasonably priced by overseas standards, so it would pay to check them out too.

You also need to bear in mind that the NZ back country requires knowlegde and experience. Our mountains claim several lives each year (both Kiwis and visitors, mountaineers, hikers and hunters) who underestimate their ability to cope with the rugged terrain, changeable weather, and rivers.

Don't be put off, just make sure you do lots (LOTS) of homework so you enjoy your visit.

Cheers Foster

PS I am happy to respond to specific questions via PM's

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Just like to add to Fosters suggestions by saying that you need to be fairly fit for mountain hunting , and especially able to handle walking/climbing across steep slopes - so your ankles need to be fit too . The high country is not for flabby, armchair hunters, sad to say Frowner

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread, about halfway down, has a good rundown on huntable species, licenses, etc. for NZ

And a link to the NZ Police info on firearm importation.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote