New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping "Other" items to AU
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Kensco post on Importing Hunting Trophies is very timely for me. I moved to Australia just over 2 years ago (how time flies) and now needing to ship most of my belongings. Along with taxidermy I am considering shipping some shooting related items such as reloading equipment, bipods, scopes, mounting rings and such. Any trouble with shipping these types of items? Suggestions and advice is most welcome.

Regards
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
First thing is to contact customs and ask them.

If you can get the ship in as household goods on moving here, you probably won't have to pay GST on the importation.

Loaded ammunition, primers, powder etc would probably require a special permit. I'm not sure if special transportation rules apply to goods such as these if not accompanying the travellor (ie the usual 5 kg checked luggage).

Press, scales, mounts, bipods etc should be fine.

I believe scopes are fine too but have seen some guys claim a B709A permit is required. I have never needed one bring a rifle back in. However when LEAVING and coming back it is good advice to get the scopes listed on the B709A.

Taxidermied mounts? Probably depends on what is being imported and where on the CITES list they are. Elephant, leopard products, no they can't be imported. Some on CITES listings you need to show the CITES certificate from the country of origin. Best advice again is speak to Customs and also a good taxidermist.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote