Notify
Tools

Re: R.I.D.G.E. group
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
Quote:

Is it the norm in NZ ? I would have to disagree there mate!

I think you will find that the majority of deerhunting done here is free range , fair chase stuff . There are some places that offer hunting on fenced properties , but not exactly in a 1/4 acre pen situation , some of those properties cover thousands of acres and only have a perimeter fence , more to keep the poachers out than the livestock in .

Muzza

Just saw your reply.

When I wrote as the "norm" I meant for foreign trophy hunters and through 'outfitters'. I would think very few NZers would use an outfitter and next to none "hunt" a deer farm. Just recently someone was asking about hunting in NZ and said virtually all the outfitters talked about fenced properties. The 100 acre stuff comes from an outfitter who was disgusted by the practice of some of his peers. And also the desires of most (all) of his clients who would have been happy to shoot a stag out of the deer farms he passed by on the way to the bush.

A deer farmed animal released into a 3000 acre block is still tame. It takes about a year or two for them to wisen up. My guess most would be shot within a month of "release". I don't have a problem with guys hunting 3000 acre+ fenced properties but newly released stags will stand in the open in daylight and you can walk right past them without them running away. Unfortunately most clients would not know that as they would never get a chance to find it out.

If you believe deer fences keep poachers out ........... I've heard that one before. It was very funny last time I heard it too. If I spent untold thousands of dollars on deer fencing it would be to keep my valuable "stock" in. Most poachers can climb or carry wire cutters .

This RIDGE group looks like a worthwhile group to look at.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote