New
Find
Notify
Tools

old optics
 Login/Join

posted
gday.
im new to this forum, was just wondering if i could get some advice??
my old man and i have been asked to cul deer (fallow, and apperently red and chital) in taree. the gun i was going to use is an old 303-25 jungle carbine sporter. my dilemar is what glass to put on it. ive got a brand new (chinese manufactured) tasco world class 3-9x40, or and old, and im guessing 10 to 15 year old Rhino 3-9x40, jap manufactured. i never heard of rhino till i picked up this scope.
id be really grateful for any help on choosing between the two. (or trash both??)

cheers

Posts: 5 | Location: Sydney, Aust | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Jap one would be my pick of the two.Old Nikko-Sterlings are Jap as well.
Keep the other one as back up,take the tools to change it over. HTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trash em and go for a leupold vx1 in either 2-7 or 3-9, and they will still be working when your old and grey.

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Urban,

My son has a Chinese (I think) Tasco World Class 3-9x40 on his CZ 223 - that thing has been dropped, shunted, hammered, left in the back of the ute - you name it!! So far, no probs! I had a really bad experience with a Nikko Stirling - wouldn't even take it if you gave it to me!!

I have always put Leupolds on my 'serious' rifles (6mm, 25-06, and now 270), and they are great!! But the 25/303 doesn't recoil all that much. Can't comment on the Rhino, no experience. If you want to trash them, send them to me!

If you need to use what you've got, go with the Tasco, but as others have said, take the Rhino, and the tools to change 'em, and see how you go.

Need a hand with the deer?

Ruger

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help fellas.
ruger user, really? all the stuff ive heard about any chinese made scope is that they fall to bits before you even take em out of the box?? maybe thats just a prejuduce because of where they are made?
yeah i was looking at the leapolds, but im not too keen on their lack of reticle choice for the VX1's, which means a lynx or a bushnell elite for something under $500, but thats double the value of the rife...
haha, youd be about the 10th bloke whos asked me if i need a hand for the cull!

cheers

Posts: 5 | Location: Sydney, Aust | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you order a leopold from Premier Reticals in the US they will put any guts into it you want.It only cost $30 freight,plus you will buy the scope cheaper than here.
Around 10 days in the mail,no paperwork etc.HTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
11th Bloke offering and I'll throw my mate from west of Maitland as a sidekick..
Seriously Deer are taken at reasonable distances normally as in over 100 mtrs unless you are a deer whisperer..
I have a Mirouku/BLR in 22.250 with a 3x9x50 var11 leupold which has served me well, some might say its too light but I can't complain and I eat Venison as often as I can..meaning to pony up and re-barrel it in 7mm.08 one day..
I have a 6x40 Nikko on a small bore that has been on a .222 for yrs and no problems.. Use what you have and if you find the dollars buy a Leupold, If you however win lotto buy Schmidt and Bender, thats what our SAS use.Oops let the cat out of the bag..I expect the Black Helos to hover overhead shortly..
FWIW i use open sights to 70 mtrs rimfire and centrefire..
Luke in Oz