New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping to the US
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody know if you require permits from either Aus Customs or US Customs to send a rifle stock from Aust to the US?

Scott

Posts: 39 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted Hide Post
I have no problems bringing stocks in from the US.

My understanding is rifle stocks are not a restricted or prohibited item.

Give the friendly folk at customs a call 1300 363 263 to be sure.

Australian Customs www site

Cheers,
Richo.

"Living it Large"

To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

--Abraham H. Maslow --

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard but I actually want to send the stock to the US. I have looked on the US customs site and the BATF site with no sucess.

Scott

Posts: 39 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will need a Dept of Defence export permit at this end. A stock comes under Item ML901 of the Defence and Strategic Goods List.DoD link

At the US end, looks like a BATF import permit is needed - see s10 of this pdf doco. Doesn't look like the importer needs to be a FFL licensed dealer, for stocks [only for frames, receivers or actions]. An ATF Form 6 would be the application form to use. This one is slow - they quote 4-6 weeks.

The BATF section webpage you want is here, and you can download their 11.5 Mb imports guidebook from there. Roll Eyes

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Scott

I shipped a stock to a guy in Missouri about this time last year.
From a Sako Finnfire Varminter I had re-stocked.
I just stuck it in a box and posted it.......Confused

It was there and the money was in my account within a week, no problems.

Getting the money was the hardest part.
Some advice....just get yourself a free Paypal account and do it that way.
Western Union money orders are expensive and a pain in the A.

I just marked it as "wooden sporting goods" on the export ticket.....
About 25 bucks for postage if memory serves me.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
scott
you dont need any import / export permits from either end
regards daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Thanks for that. I have two rem 700 SA stocks I want to sell. One ADL and one BDL. Going to put them on ebay so I already have the paypal a/c sorted. I didnt want to have an OS bidder win then find a problem with shipping.

Cheers

Scott