Find
Notify
Tools
Oz Buffalo Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Gents,

The time has finally come -- To celebrate the occasion of our 30th anniversary my wife and I are going to Australia next June or July. She's going to Sidney and I'm going Buff hunting in the Outback... That's the way it works after 30 years! LOL!!

So I'm in the position of trying to sort out the right outfit to hunt Buffalo with. If you have information on a specific outfit - good or bad - please post a response or send me a PM. I'd like to sort this out in the next month or so.

Thanks for the help!

Crosshairs

Make the first one count!

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
http://www.southernsafaris.com.au/index.html
paul truccolo (nyati@bigpond.com)

Matt Graham that post here.
www.huntaust.com.au

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I recently posted a package to Mike Bailey a long known member of Nitro`s forum and in doing so I got to know about his choice of Buff hunt otherwise I had no idea they were about.
He up in Katherine or out from there in the bush as he is currently hunting with Barry from this link and from all I glean its a top line outfit.

http://buffalosafaris.com/

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
steer well clear of Safari North!

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
steer clear of Safari North!!

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Graham Williams at Australian Buffalo Hunters (www.biggameaustralia.com). A friend and I hunted with him in 2004 and are going back in 2010. Graham will really work hard to see that you have a good hunt.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yes everything about Graham Williams at ABH is held in the highest regard from what is 'around the traps" and as DBB suggests there are some to stay away from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Greg Pennicott Safaris over the past five years. I will be going there June 2010. PM me if you would like me to get you in touch. Happy 30th!

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys... 2010 is going to be a great year!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HAve you looked into hunting with Leithen Valley Trophy Hunts?? Although I am a bit biased (I consider them almost family!), they expanded out of NZ and have been runnig a great buff operation in northern Aus for the last 5 yrs or so..

Kicking the idea of heading down there next season myself..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leithen Valley Trophy Hunts

No I have not but I'll certainly inquire. I hope they offer "family rates." Smiler

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
HAve you looked into hunting with Leithen Valley Trophy Hunts?? ... they expanded out of NZ and have been runnig a great buff operation in northern Aus for the last 5 yrs or so..

I hunted on their Arnhemland property a few years ago.

"'Mad Cow' Cull"

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
Matt Graham that post here.
www.huntaust.com.au

Matt Graham does a pretty good job.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like some hot barreled action, John!
I'm hoping George will be able to put me onto a great bull up at Conway, and then afterwards, I"M HOPING to find a someone to go camel hunting with down south while I'm still in Aus..

I need to get registered on your site.. Seems like alot of good guys over there.. I could pick some brains over there about the camel hunting as well!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the tips guys. I have made inquiries and I'll let you know how it all shakes out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Crosshairs,
I just returned from a buff cull hunt with Matt Graham's Hunt Australia in their Gan Gan concesssion in Arhemland. I highly recommend that you consider Hunt Australia. They run a very professional operation with good facilities and have an excellent guide in Pete Harding at Gan Gan.

Try to schedule your hunt dates during the first week of August. It is the coolest time and the best chance for great weather.

My partner, Wayne and I limited out on the first day, taking 10 cow buff each. On the second day, we concentrated on getting Wayne a trophy bull. By late afternoon, Wayne was successful. His buff has a green score of 105 3/4 SCI inches. Nice big old bull with heavy bases.

The big problem was what we were going to do for the next three days except barramundi fishing. Wayne is not a fisherman, and I'm a poor one. Talked with Matt by radio telephone and we were allowed to shoot more cows by paying extra fees. This we did, but far more sparingly. During the next three days, we saw quite a few trophy quality bulls.

I opted not to take another trophy bull as I had already done so with Matt in 2007. It's a great place, great operation, great people, and abundant game.

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok geoff, spill the beans. Just spoke to MG and he said you should have some pics for us.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Geoff - thanks for posting the message mate...

Very pleased you had a great time with Pete. I'd like to see some photos too if you are able to post them or if you can email a couple to me I can get them posted for you. Very keen to see a photo of Waynes bull especially - sounds like a ripper!!

As you know I am in another camp - so I havent seen Waynes bull yet. Leith and I are very sorry we missed you at Gan Gan but we had some other clients elsewhere but knew you would be in good hands.. We'll hopefully see you in Reno??

Cheers mate
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My partner, Wayne and I limited out on the first day, taking 10 cow buff each. On the second day, we concentrated on getting Wayne a trophy bull. By late afternoon, Wayne was successful.

Tough hunting eh 20 cow buff`s in two days then a few more later on too. And an easy peasy bull on the second day...click fingers...just like that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:

Tough hunting eh 20 cow buff`s in two days then a few more later on too. And an easy peasy bull on the second day...click fingers...just like that!
Qualified to comment .... how?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Since when does one need to be qualified on an internet forum to comment on Asiatic water buffalo especially since being asked by one of the lesser 'buffalo guides'

And to be fair in answering geoff from Honolulu said so himself Mr Graham Sir!

Cant you work that out when the client say`s how it is?
Certainly no mention of miles of slog and how tough it was...just a simple QUOTE: My partner, Wayne and I limited out on the first day, taking 10 cow buff each

Says it all eh...we dont need to know anything more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confused Roll Eyes

Cheers,
Mark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark R,

I will post pictures on a new thread as I do not want to hijack this one as it appears to be going in that direction. Crosshairs only wants recommendations for his future hunt. The best recommendations always come from happy clients, and I certainly am one of them. I have hunted with Matt Graham and his predecessor about 8 times in the past 17 years. Certainly, they do most things right and maintain a quality standard that encourages their clients to return.

Geoff

Shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gryphon1,
I cannot leave this thread without the following comment. The key to our early success can only be attributed to our guide, Pete Harding. He knows the concession area intimately, knows where to find the buffalo, how they will react, and where they can be expect to be and move.

We all know what makes for a good hunt, being:
a good outfitter, good guide/PH, good property with abundant game, and good weather. If we do our part as the hunters, it will be a good hunt.

Geoff

Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
Since when does one need to be qualified on an internet forum to comment on Asiatic water buffalo especially since being asked by one of the lesser 'buffalo guides'

And to be fair in answering geoff from Honolulu said so himself Mr Graham Sir!

Cant you work that out when the client say`s how it is?
Certainly no mention of miles of slog and how tough it was...just a simple QUOTE: My partner, Wayne and I limited out on the first day, taking 10 cow buff each

Says it all eh...we dont need to know anything more.
rotflmo you really are a joke!!

Interesting though you didnt seem to make any derogatory comments on Johns buffalo culling thread on Nitro Express but when one of my clients comes on here and posts some info you jump right on it...

I'd like to know what makes me one of the 'lesser' buffalo guides too.... how did I qualify for that mate??

Note to AR's: Unless Gryphon claims differently - he has never so much as seen a buffalo, never been to buffalo country.... he might have met a couple of buffalo guides somewhere in passing? He seems confident to recommend things he knows zero about and guides he has never met.

I'd just like to clarify that I DO know Graham Williams (unlike Gryphon) - and he is a good guy and his clients that I know mostly have good things to say about him too. Same goes for George at Conways (Leithen Valley). The three of us have very different areas and hunting conditions... mine just happens to have a VERY large number of buffalo...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Geoff,

I too have hunted with the "lesser buffalo guide" and also had a ball. Will hunt with him again.
Look forward to the pics.

Cheers,
Mark.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Glad I rattled your cage Matty...I have a long memory and the recent insult of yours towards me personally on the Nitro forums re farmers /fences and the stag I posted about in the thread wasnt taken lightly...just went on the list with the others!

Your thinly veiled comment no matter how innocent it appeared to the members that dont know our history certainly didnt go unnoticed by those that do.

And back to shooting 20 plus animals in such a short time....tell me and the rest of the AR`s how tough a "hunt" it really was....well geoff has already intimated that hasnt he,but tell us YOUR side of it,gee you might make a few sales as you generally attempt to do so with your posts.

You are indeed a smart arse boyo and if you throw flak expect to get some in return,now go weep in your porridge ace.

I'd like to know what makes me one of the 'lesser' buffalo guides too.... how did I qualify for that mate??

See below and work it out for yourself cobber!

Bottom line from the Yank himself re that other issue hasnt been lost either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

You are as unstable as ever Gryphon .... at least you are consistent!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Great reply Matt ,one of your better ones,did you search Google for that? clap

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
This thread is going down hill fast so it has been locked.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7984 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001