New
Find
Notify
Tools

Death of my old mate
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
My work dog Axle died a few hours ago. Frowner Feels like I've been run over by a truck!

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear that Bakes. Only those who have owned and loved dogs can really understand what this means. I have lost several, and one more, Laddie, is on his last legs. But he still enjoys life, so we will keep him going as long as we can.
I have no advice!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear that bakes, it always hurts like hell and will do so for some time.

condolences

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people have no comprehension of the bond that developes between a man and a working dog. I can't count the number of times a good dog has kept an animal off me while working stock. Its truely a sad day when you lose a friend like that.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Lost my girl a few weeks ago, she was 17. I had her since I was in first grade and now I am in college. It gets easier and soon you will remember only the best times you two had.

Take care. Axle is playing with a bunch of other dogs in the big field in the sky now.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can relate. I've had dozens of friends throught my 65 years, but the best friend I ever had was Brandy. Once she stopped a sow black bear and two cubs in full charge up in the Smoky Mountains National Park. Don't know what would have happened had she not charged in herself. It wouldn't have been good. She was a small dog with the heart of a lion. She's been gone twenty years or so, but I still miss her terribly. Hang in there.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The worst part of owning a fine pup like yours is the knowing that they will go long before you do.....my condolences, amigo. Sleeping next to me now as I write this is Willy, my 12.5 yr old Jack Russell and Nandi my 15 year old Lab....my "kids."

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Tony.
Chin up.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Most people have no comprehension of the bond that developes between a man and a working dog.

Very true!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words folks. The thing with Axle was....he was an absolute bastard Big Grin His first handler could never get him off the arm. When I got him 3 years ago I managed to work him out and was could get him off about 85-90% of the time but it was a struggle every day. He was a crest headed stubbon freak but I knew if I let him go on an intruder he would take him out. Best dog I've had and I'm going to miss the skinny prick.
This is the last picture of him. Taken a few days ago when we were doing water attacks and playing in the rain.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this Bakes.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Bakes ... I am so sorry about your fine hound ... I am sure that he is chasing bunnies right now in a Finer Place ...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear Bakes Frowner Working dogs or not they are great mates. Can I ask what happened? Doesn't look to be an old dog by any stretch.

My condolences

Dan

Posts: 109 | Location: Jabiru NT | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

My most sincere condolences. The Babies become a very significant part of our families and it very much hurts to lose one.

"Personality" (with all of its sometimes shortcomings) can make a guy even more dear. Will be tough for a while. Only time cures this kind of loss.

Again, my most sincere condolences.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Autopsy hasn't been done yet Wiz but I think it was gastric torsion. He was getting on a bit, 10yo this August.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post

Bakes, looks like the two of you were enjoying the day, woking together. Sorry to hear about losing your partner.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Bakes,
We've lost a couple of K-9s in the last couple of years and the whole department goes in mourning. They do become a "mate" as y'all say down South.

Sorry to hear about your loss

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

Sorry to hear the bad news; there is no easy way to deal with it and being an adult doesn't make it any easier either..

If it was gastric torsion, it seems much more common with you guys than over here??

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Pete, autopsy confirmed it was GT.
We don't sew the stomach to the wall of the abdomen like the US guys do so we do loose a few dogs each year.

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
mum lost her rottie like that,
bloody awfull way to go, at least its quick.
sorry for your loss
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I lost my last bloke Cassius to it as well. Rushed him to the vet but couldn't save him. Gave him the green dream on the back of the dog truck straight into the heart. Poor bugger. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
mum had the day off was playing in the front yard with the kids and she noted that it looked like he had got stuck into the dog food bucket as his belly was bloted, went off to the shop, sead goodbye to the dog cam home and he was lying by the gate looked like he had swallowed a basket ball, no joke, rang me freaked out, i shot round there and found him there the look on his face was awfull. packed him up and burried him quick smart so mum didnt have to see him anymore.
sad day.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bakes

Been away for while... sorry to hear about your dog man...

Cheer mate
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about you dog Bates.

I have 3 Ridgebacks atm & I know how hard it is when you lose a REAL friend.

mlg

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Ahh I love ridgeback. The boof headed bloke in my avatar is my old bloke Fred. How about some pics?