THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Importing Hunting Trophies - Can it be done?

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importing Hunting Trophies - Can it be done?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the rules. I am relocating to Perth shortly. I don't have any trophies, but I do have a carved deer antler purchased in Bali, and a few other items with feathers. The packer was trying to tell me there was no way that ANY type of animal part could be sent in the shipment of personal goods without creating a shit-storm. Any truth to that? Any way of completing some form to get them in country?

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I think if it's been sealed it should be ok (don't quote me however). Best to hop on the Customs web site and have a look.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally if it's bone, antler or horn and is clean there shouldn't be a problem. Feathers I'm not so sure on??
I think the AQIS site would be where to look as well.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you will need to contact AQIS department in Australia and get an import permit for the items. That permit will accompany the shipment. http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis

Sometimes the shipping companies will take care of that for you.... just costs a bit more to get someone else to do it.

Is it an Aussie shipping company or Indonesian??

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just put it in my suitcase if it will fit and declare it at customs when you land in Australia. They will check each item out and either treat if nec or confiscate. Much less hassle this way if you can do it.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
any animal bits including feathers will be seized by aquis and a letter sent advising "pay x amount so we can irradiate (gamma ray) or the seized items will be destroyed"

Been there done that with a gift sent from the US

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gryphon1, I suspect you are right. I just heard that story last night.

One of the men, an Aussie, also said he had a good pair of boots disappear in AQIS, never to be seen again. He said he ripped them verbally, but they never made restitution. I'm used to having personal items disappear or get broken in Customs in third-world countries, I had no idea Australia would have the same problem.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Really depends on what it is your bringing in.
Deer antler is probably Rusa. Anything come with it as to what species it is?
Certainly, contact AQIS if you need a permit*.
Personal items, ie non comercial, tanned skin and clean bone is usually ok and dont require an import permit if non c.i.t.i.e.s and accompanied with authenticity document, ie a vet/taxidermy certificate.
Only comercial goods/raw items* need an import permit.
Feathers i wouldnt bother with from Indonesia but if they mean alot to you AQIS might give you a permit.
*made clearer.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gryphon1 x 2

posted Hide Post
Antlers do not need an Import Permit. Check AQIS for details. Have a look here for info regarding feathers

CITES permits have nothing to do with AQIS, you will need to check with DEWHA

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar270:
Antlers do not need an Import Permit.

No, not unless a c.i.t.i.e.s species.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I was sent unsolicited an Indian "dreamcatcher'

It was made in an Indian reservation with NM desert muley antlers,eagle feathers, and other goodies etc.

As above good old aquis god bless `em put their foot down and I believe its a good thing too,we havent got and dont want various diseases that others have....plague and rabies are two of them.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shehuntz:
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar270:
Antlers do not need an Import Permit.

No, not unless a c.i.t.i.e.s species.

True, but if you looked at the links you would realise that an AQIS Import Permit and a CITES permit are two very different things issued by two seperate government departments.

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
seems clear as mud on the CITIES web site so whats the deal with bringing Tahr and Chammie trophys back from NZ where they are classed as a pest

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The NZ Thar and Chamois are not listed on the CITES list so you wont need a CITES import permit.

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
We have rabies already.
Lissa Viris
North Coast Fruit Bat Colonies - 27/06/2007 - PRIV - NSW Parliament
27 Jun 2007 ... Fruit bats carry the lissa virus and, according to Dr Chris Tidemann, the lissa virus is as near to rabies as it is possible to get. ...
www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod.../V3Key/LA20070627039 - 23k -

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well sort of. Its rabies like (from what we were told by the Doc,rabies is a strain of the lissa virus). Mum got scratched by a bat when she was visiting us in Katherine. She had to go through a series of injections over a month and a bit period.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
I'm glad she got treated. Animals ( Bats ) with Lissa look terrible. I would not like to see a person with Lissa.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote