New
Find
Notify
Tools

NZ hunt with Mesopotamia Station
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I finished my hunt with Mesopotamia Station yesterday. I am now in Queenstown for a week before I head home. I thought I would give a quick report.

We had a great time. The country is magnificient.

I did pretty well. I shot 2 tahr and a stag. We had a fantastic goose hunt one afternoon.

This place has a large number of tahr. While they do have a "safari park", most of their land is outside the fence. I saw a large number of tahr outside of the safari park.

I will admit to being extraordinarily lucky. Also given the current controversary, I thought I should indicate I hunted entirely on foot. I am stiff and sore as hell. It is damn hard for a guy living in the flatlands less than 50 fet above seal level to prepare for this.

We did go on an hour long helicopter ride to see the country. All I can say about that is amazing. The sights were magnificent.

I will file a full report upon my return.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was that direct through them or with kiwi safari's?

Sounds like you'll be in for snow over the next couple of day's, the ski field's are saying it's the best snow they've had for at least 10 years Wink

Edit to add: Weathered lives about ten minutes away from where you are....

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Is this the outfit you hunted with ?

http://www.mesopotamia.co.nz/index.html

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was direct through them.

Yes, that is the website.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats great Larry, particularly in view of all the hassle and expense you went through with that conman.

Posts: 43 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 19 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
Good hunt Larry,

I know the area I hope you post up here. Mesopotamia has a very good record of accomodating NZ and overseas hunters it is a great place to match hunters and mountains

This place has a large number of tahr. While they do have a "safari park", most of their land is outside the fence. I saw a large number of tahr outside of the safari park.
Smiler Those nannies are loyal to a bluff system and will not leave it will they ? You see why you don't need fence just keep the girls handy and the bulls will follow Cool

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are damn good people. My guide (Alan Kircher) was good. Real good.

We had some serious entertainment while hunting. We could see some tahr on the mountains through the spotting scope one day. They were not in the safari park. However we crossed the safari park to get closer. Climbed to the highest place in the safari park to look at the tahr. We then climbed closer to them only to find out that one with a MAGNIFICENT mane had both horns broked. We were on that "stalk" for about 6 or 7 hours.

My stag was probably in his last year. The teeth were worn down to nothing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, that sounds like a damn fine hunt. Cool

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bon Ton:
Thats great Larry, particularly in view of all the hassle and expense you went through with that conman.

What conman was that??

Sorry - oh I see now.... Been away from the net for 3 months.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Larry but pleased to hear you had a great hunt anyhow.

Cheers
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote