New
Find
Notify
Tools

Series of photos from today's hunt...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a chance to hunt for a respectable bull today after work.

Stalking into the flood plain, I had my eye on some cows and calves, thinking there wouldn't be much else.

Suddenly, this fellow emerged from the mud in front of us, seemingly out of nowhere. I asked Megan to take some photographs, if she could.

I was feeling uncomfortable about the body language of the bull, and was inadequately armed with my beautiful vintage Rigby .275 and hand-loaded Woodleigh 175 grain soft point bullets. I instructed Megan to run back down the path if things got tricky, while I would stand next to a big white gum and shoot. The bull took a few steps closer, and I settled the bead on the kill zone in his chest. This frontal chest shot is absolutely deadly, even with a small calibre.

He went down, and I paid the insurance. It was a little daunting, to be honest.

I will always admire the strength and courage of the buffalo, and hope I can learn some valuable life lessons from them.

So ended another day in my part of remote Arnhemland.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. And congratulations for the legendary rifle you are using.
Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Fantastic way to spend an afternoon after the office! Congratulations and great b/w pictures!

Enjoyed reading and looking !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2282 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt, great rifle & nice B&W pictures.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11019 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
it's all in the shot placement nice bull Cool

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos, thanks for sharing.
JCHB

Posts: 414 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Ben. I can understand your situation. They can make you and your rifle feel inadequate really Smiler

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shot! Hit 'em right an that's all you need, just one. What was the range? You didn't give that, though it does look close.
Thanks for sharing with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5955 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, George. It was initially a seventy yard shot. I'm very sorry, my initial post is a bit misleading, as it took two shots to drop, then the safety shots. He was leaking and hurting and losing oil pressure after that first, though. The frontal chest shot is devastating. Kind regards, Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Man! Just Outstanding!

Great photos too! tu2

Posts: 41800 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of blacks
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Ben, a lovely bull and rifle to match. Good to see you giving those Woodleighs a work out, another batch should be there anytime now Wink

Regards

blacks

"You won't shoot anything at home on the couch...."

Posts: 92 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 24 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ben, Tell your lady: "Great pics too".
Where do you hunt over there? I've been trying to study the areas on Earth now n then.

One place about 20mi W of Katherine where there's a double dirt road. I sure believe I see maybe a dozen head of ?? animals?? crossing the road. Focus is not clear enough to tell for sure what they are though. Might be I just don't have patience enough to wait til the focus clears up. I do believe IF it was clear, that we could see the buffs n whatever else on this thing.

Thanks much again,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5955 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I love it!

Buffalo with a 7mm and no drama. Just as it should be.

Now, let us hear from those screaming that a 45 caliber is what is required for a buffalo clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67310 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big boy sure had an attitude, didn't he?

Great pics, and great story. I want to go!!!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellows! She sure is a special girl who loves stalking buffalo! I'll pass your compliments on to her.

George, unfortunately the country 20 miles west of Katherine is very civilised, with very little game. My Dad killed the only buffalo I have ever seen in that country some years ago. That's not to say there aren't others - there are, and we see their tracks and dung. I have killed buffalo just east of Katherine where they were coming out of the National Park and wrecking the gardens and fences on friends' properties, but even these encounters are few and far between.

I now live in Armhemland, with buffalo wandering through the community and around my school.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacks, thanks for those bullets, man! They are keeping people fed!