Find
Notify
Tools

donkey cull
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted
Back from a cull trip with my bro, jb and a few others, I finally have a spare 5 mins so thought I better upload some pics of the trip.
It was my and jbs first time to the property but Laurie guided us round for the first day or 2 so we could get our bearings there was a lot of animals. we whacked a handful before we got to where we were to camp.
laurie and i had just enough time to set up our new quads, yam grizly 400's both of us were upgraiding from 250cc chink bikes so it was a fair step up.

laurie learning how not to cross a creek.

the property had a strict no shooting camels on one section but we were able to shoot any on another section but we only found the camels in the no shoot area

it was quite open country with tabletop escartments banking the valleys

sunset

i was shooting the 7 rem mag with seirra game kings in 160g and the 45.70 with bullet factory bullets in 300 and 405g mostly, whilst carring the 30 30 and the .308 for backup on those big bomb ups.

dead donkeys, you seen one you seen em all.................

the 7 rem mag speaks louder than words

jb picked up a dog on the run with a freaky snap shot, he recons he needed a bit more lead, i recon the highland flat points out of the .308 done the job

cleaning out the grass from the bikes

it was getting near the end of the week and altho we saw heaps of camels, the ones we saw were all in the no shoot zone. i was out with marty and jb when we negotiated a creek with alot of large rocks on the climb out, i was sitting on the top of the ridge having crossed the creek and spotted a camel, we were in the right paddock to shoot one and i got excited, i radioed the guys to tell them i spotted a camel, no responce, tryed again, no responce, i thaught "these buggers have got an eye on this camel and there cutting me off" so i headed off after it myself, then i get a call from marty, "we need you" im thinking WTF? so i head back to find jb half way up the incline out of the creek with the bike on its side. he is flat on his back and in PAIN we were both worried, marty wispered "i think we may need a chopper"
a rock kicked the front left up and jb had landed on his back the bike and all the gear allover the ground, and he had blacked out, i could see that he was in pain so we gave him some time to compose himself before i told him there was a camel on the next ridge, well you should have seen him jump up, he looked like a school kid being offered a boiled lollie.

jb in pain but managed a smile before righting the bike and chaceing down the camel.

a bit of work getting over the rocks to catch up to the camel but the effort paid off, the 45.70 thru the shoulders stopped her instantly.

on the way home we spotted 4 donkeys on a ridge on the other side of a very steep creek crossing there was no way accross so we decided to take them from where we were. it would be approx 350 to 400 mtrs from were we were. we opened up all at once and 3 of the 4 dropped quite quickly but we had the 4th was a runner, i gave it a heap of lead with the 7rm and allowed for the drop....... bang HEAD SHOT it hit the deck in spectacular fashion just as marty and jb were about to shoot, so we all got to see the fall, it looked cool.

bits of the camel i shot hanging over nite.

thanks to little johnnys legacey , we had to deal with the no grog policey so we settled into camp with soft drinks and ginger beer

on the last shooting day we got up and were just tucking into some brekkie when a camel wondered past the camp!!!!!, we had been trying to get them all week and then one just wonders past! well not needing any invite laurie grabed his m10 in .308 and took off to cut its path.

one of the guys was a butcher so we all got a lesson in bush kills.

with the desert wind still blowing the meat cooled off quite quickly

so we ended up with 848 donkeys 2 camels and a dog for the trip, not bad for a weeks work
a report for the bullet factorys projectiles out of the 45.70 to come.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures and report. Are the camels very tough to put down? Also, how come they were protected on one area? Do they ever get mustered?
Thanks again for the report.
Gabriel

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
smokin a camel - you'd get in trouble here for doing that Big Grin hillbilly(sorry about that but its just one of those days)

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
so we ended up with 848 donkeys

Holy crap, that's a lot of shooting! Eeker Sounds like a hoot. I assume the donkeys become dingo bait, but what does camel taste like? Don't tell me chicken... Big Grin

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What really caught my eye was the truck with the tent on it. Is it set up for camping or is that a work truck? Nice story and pics, thanks for sharing!!

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats great !!

how much work got done with the old 45/70 ?? did you like 300's or 405's better ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
Nice pictures and report. Are the camels very tough to put down? Also, how come they were protected on one area? Do they ever get mustered?
Thanks again for the report.
Gabriel

for there size there not to tough, about the same as scrub bulls,
the farmer says dont shoot then i dont shoot, i think it is just to hard to get access to them in the go for it area. for farming purposes.
they are very similar to beef, so much so that my wife and kids had 2 meals of "steak" before she found the outside fridge with all this meat hanging in it. Big Grin i have just spent all tonite minceing up some of the cuts to make sausages.
only problem is it is quite low fat content and so is too healthy for sausages, im heading out this weekend for a pig to use as filler Wink
greg

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
What really caught my eye was the truck with the tent on it. Is it set up for camping or is that a work truck? Nice story and pics, thanks for sharing!!

the chef

chef,
the truck is a custom build on a nissan patrol ute frame, it is equiped with fridge and frezzer, 12v power system, drawer system, lockup storage safe, all the toys. we like to do it in style.
greg

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Thats great !!

how much work got done with the old 45/70 ?? did you like 300's or 405's better ??

plenty, it would have taken over 100 donkeys it self, anything short of the having to use the 7mm copped the 45.70 as treatment. Cool
i think the 405s were better in that they were unstoppable, but a bit of a rainbow tragectory. 300 grainers for splat factor. head shots were GRAPHIC.
greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just bought some of Jason Vanajeks 300 gr Hollowpoints from the "Bullet Factory" to try, they have a massive Hollow in them !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
848 donkeys in a week? I don't shoot that many ground squirrels in a year! Sounds like a lot of fun and good practice. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
so we ended up with 848 donkeys

Holy crap, that's a lot of shooting! Eeker Sounds like a hoot. I assume the donkeys become dingo bait, but what does camel taste like? Don't tell me chicken... Big Grin

I am told it tastes something like spotted owl and condor. Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the 1960's when I moved back west we stopped in to see my fishery mgt professor at the u of az & he told us about the burro hunts in az near the colorado river and the BBQue in Bullhead City. Signs everywhere said"Come to Bullhead City for a Piece of Ass" Bill told me there was lots of it running around and the meat was really good.The animal rights jerks complained and the hunts were cancelled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting report, and some fasinating country.
How big was the area you covered to shoot that many donkeys?

Posts: 4254 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Interesting report, and some fasinating country.
How big was the area you covered to shoot that many donkeys?

where we were camped you would run out of fuel on the quad and not hit the boundry. 3 or 400 ks accross.
we only shot 3 paddocks
greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To us Kiwi's, thats a staggering area.No wonder you need the Quads.

Posts: 4254 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Greg,

Speachless....
Jealous....

Any more information on the Ute? Is there an Oz company that puts those together or does one do it on his own? It definitely looks like going in style, awesome.

Prairie Dog shooting WAS fun, now I'll be dreaming of shooting donkies.

Thanks for the great story and pictures.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote