Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Win mag ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of morton3
posted
Has anyone had good results from PMC factory ammo out of a .300 Win mag ?

I`ve recently acquired 200 rounds of 150 gn PMC factory ammo & can`t get better than about 4 inches at 100 yards.

My reloads (75 gn AR2209, 130 gn taipan HP) give me 3 leaf clovers every time at 100 yards. I really only wanted the PMC stuff for the brass anyway but it seems a waste to just blaze them away just because they`re not real accurate. Would it be advisable to pull the 150 gn slugs & replace with another type ? Any suggestions as to the type of slug I could try ?

I have a Gulf country hunt coming up June `06 & am keen to use a slug that works on everything from pigs to scrub bulls.

The rifle is a stainless Ruger M77 mkII & I`m very happy with it in the main.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers Morton

If it sounds too good to be true, It usually is !

Posts: 124 | Location: Newcastle Australia | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
PMC is shit,its ok on rabbits and goats.I would not use it on a scrub bull or it maybe your last hunt

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to use a 300 mag on scrub bulls I would use a "VERY" premium 200 grain bullet.
Trophy bonded bedarclaw, Swift A Frame, Woodleigh Protected point, Fail safe, Barnes X etc.
They still should do good on pigs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote