Find
Notify
Tools

`98- .358 N Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted
Dropped my `98 Commercial 308 Norma magnum off at the g/smiths yesterday to have a new stainless re chambered in .358 Norma mag fitted and a bit of bedding etc.

S+K Sculptured bases and rings are coming from the US,the Zeiss is winging its way over atm and the next task is to source a good quality syn stock for the rifle.
It has had a bedded Ramline on it for 20 years and although it has served the purpose I have never really liked it at all..too noisy in the bush for one thing.
It was a mail order job and if I had of seen and handled it prior to purchase I doubt if I would have bought it,none the less it has rolled its share of sambar over the years.
Me old mate Muzza is involved with `98`s perhaps he can shed the light on the "right" model stock for this action etc or anyone else if they have the goss on them.
I have looked at the Mac`s that seem pricey and I have two B+C`s and am very happy with them but the different array of `98 models means I aint gonna click on "buy now" until i know my rifle and stock combo are def 'drop in'

Any expert opinions out there?

PH `98 and I believe its also known as a 1200 model

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
What are the B&C's like Gryph? I want a new stock for my 6.5 and another project and don't mind the look of them.

Our builders best mate is the owner of wild dog stocks. Apparently he is flat out filling orders. Just think all those people out there with no taste at all. animal

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7990 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Gee gryph , I'll have to view you in a differant light now.... Wink

98 Mauser stocks ...hmmm.

How much money do you want to spend is probably the big factor here. Prices range from $100 to the skies the limit. Do you want a tough , practical , handle-anything-you-throw-at-it stock or a pretty shelf-sitter stock?

Having seen the type of cover you hunt in I would suggest respectfully that you refit the old stock , and then actively pursue as many types of "better" synthetic stock as you can find.

The big hassle is , naturally , getting those good stocks out of their parent country...

My preferance is for a stock that fits , and fortunately for me that is the cheaper end of the market. I have a couple of Corelites that fit my build well , but all my synthetics are lower end of the market stuff. They get bounced around on 4-wheelers ,in and out of aircraft ( ssshhh), bashed through gorse and drenched with rain but still survive - so far .

My 308 Norma Mag still wears its original P-H wooden stock , which is about the tidiest P-H stock I have seen in a long time.

Is that any help ? You could spray paint your old stock if the colour is an issue , cant offer much about the noisy nature of plastic - although you could try that shrink-wrap they sell for shotgun stocks , its slightly fuzzy and would reduce the noise a little...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
this might help a little too

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...etic_stock_for_a_Mau

Posts: 4462 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Is the ramline butt hollow? If so you could fill it with expanding foam. Not the stuff from a spray can, the stuff you have to mix together.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7990 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Bakesey the B+C`s a re brilliant stocks and i would buy one in a flash for the 358 if i knew which one exactly with a min of any ferkin about to fit the bastard...great stocks cob I recco them.

Dunno about the ramline butt mate but its the skin thats noisy in the thick shit bush.

Muzza I sold my original PH wood for $40 ..yeah I know but its almost imperative to have a syn stock on a samabr rifle if you get out several hundred times a year.Th old RL is going back on until i do find the right one. I reckon 3-400 bucks for a 1/2 decent syn would do me.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If you know what profile your barrel is then you should be able to contact MacMillan or whoever and order a stock for your action nd that barrel profile. It isnt a huge job to custom-fit the stock to your barrel as long as the stock is slightly smaller in the channel. Piece of dowel and some sandpaper does wonders.

On a hard-kicking rifle like a 358 Norma you might want a little more weight as well, although a good recoilpad works wonders.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Found a link on the campfire forum to PH`s and some of the pom`s have had good input and are looking around for extra info so thanks Muzza for the input there.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
try this link to some Parker-hale information - lots of PH information, may need to join the forum to access it , cant remember....

http://thehunterslife.com/foru...45f79009cf8f8&t=3140

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
thats the one,there are some keen PH men there,tar Muzza... god we are getting on fine eh!

Now if only Matt Graham would see the light! Joke Matty ..joke old son!

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
gryph - we will never agree on lots of things , but whilst we dont mention them in the current discussion I expect we will get along adequately for now . Hopefully the information was of some use to you and any others in a similar position.

Good luck with your stock search.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I have been into Hogues site.. a full bed block stock in a green colour is $300 USD.. =$350 AUD

I then discovered an NZ site on google that I thought I could do business with..ah ah ouch! they have them for $753 NZD,it has me buggered how mobs like that can be so over the top.

I would be happy with a Hogue but now have to find out if they deal direct to Aus or if they have another rip off dealer here.

And yes muzza info was handy thank you. JG

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
and you Aussies thought you got shafted on prices....

Thank god for American mates who travel home often.....

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thought about a Houge over molded stock when I was up in the NT. Only they don't make them for M96's. Then I heard they get a bit tacky in the heat.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
here is another supplier of stocks - they have a sale on at present too

http://www.stockysstocks.com/s...-Tactical/Categories

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
yes sir that joker has a heap to choose from,I have seen his site prev but from memory they dont deal with Oz,will have another look though Muzza,tar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, Ramline stocks are hollow.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
My father in law has a FN in a 358 norma--it is getting a break put on it right now.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote