http://www.realoutdoorproductions.com/2008vids/Goat1/goat1.html

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
You were meant to edit my poor shooting out shocker

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Sorry....I only remembered to edit out my poor shooting...and then take credit for your great shots Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow: I can see where you need to reload in NZ as a matter of economics. I just live up in Mackenzie so my travel costs would be the same. Can you tell me how much the trip cost total?Thank's for posting the video. Regards Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Prince George to Auckland return was about $2000 taxes in. The cull hunting is actually free if have a local connection to get you onto a ranch or to point you towards a productive piece of "crown" land. Not sure what an outfitter would charge.

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
In defense of all the shooting....there were 3 shooters at any given time and only one camera. I could only film a few goats at a time and often there are goats getting shot off-screen. There are a few scenes where it sounds like a war in the background and the goats on camera are looking pretty safe!

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Few photos from the trip.

First pig for my new rifle.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the info and posting the pics . Wife and I were accepted for emigration to NZ in the 70's and family talked us out of going. Cindy&I still agree that it was our biggest mistake not going so it is real nice to read all about it here. By the way i think that was not too bad shooting considering wind currents, size of animal & distance. Regards Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
James is a movie star now! Can I have your autograph? J/K

It a lot of fun and the sheep farmers sure seem to appreciate it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eeker That is some heavy duty shooting, amigos !!! Do you just take rifles that one can buy extra shells for . ...or does James spend his evenings reloading ??? Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
Eeker That is some heavy duty shooting, amigos !!! Do you just take rifles that one can buy extra shells for . ...or does James spend his evenings reloading ??? Smiler

the airline limits us to 5kg's of ammo each...about 140 rnds for a 30-06. Anything more than two days of cull hunting and it would not have been enough. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah it sure can be tough here at times!!!
Great video guys, talking to TP last nite sounds like you guys had a blast!

these guys "were" 25 min from my house, to give an idea of how bad this problem was 200 ferals 500 acres.

OH NO WHAT TO DO!!! dancing

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: Can you ship ammo ahead for a cull hunt or do you have to just bring what you can? Are the younger goats good to eat? Regards Dan

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunbug:
Hi: Can you ship ammo ahead for a cull hunt or do you have to just bring what you can? Are the younger goats good to eat? Regards Dan

???good question???

maybe a Kiwi expert has the answer to that....

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If you are visiting NZ then you may carry - as checked baggage - a maximum of 5 Kilogramms ( approx 12 pounds ) of sporting ammunition on the airline of your choice.

This is an International Air Travel Association rule , and all international airlines are signitories to that rule. Dont let them bullshit you that you cant - its in the IATA Dangerous Goods regulations.

You cannot ship ammo seperate to your checked luggage unless you have a raft of paperwork , including export approval , impoert approval blah , blah , blah..... ask me how I know .....

If you were coming here with a goat cull in mind and bring your own rifle , then check in advance what ammo in your calibre is available here , buy some the same at home and sight in for that ammo before you leave home . or even better - use your hosts rifle and ammo... Big Grin

Absolutely nothing wrong with eating goatmeat . They make great sausages and salami , or are great as a stew or casserole , or fried on the bbq. There is more goatmeat eaten in the world than sheepmeat.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote