Notify
Tools

Yet's talk reloads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
Yet's talk reloads and not game parks.
I'm loading 300gr woodleigh PP and 300gr hornady FMJ in 375H&H 90.5 grains AR2209 getting 2550-2600fps these loads are for me up coming water buffalo hunt.

What bullet are going to use on your Elephant hunt NitroX??
Have you been doing much shooting practice??

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lapua
posted Hide Post
have you tried Rl-15 for you 300 gr woodleigh's mate ?

Cheers

lapua

Posts: 114 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
TP
sounds like that will punch a nice hole in a buff
the 375 sounds a little big for most nz game?
when/ where are you going?
sounds fun greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow that's a bit of an overload in my book, I use 80gns of 2209 with the 300gn Woodleigh and that's near max, and good results on the paper and the Sambar...Les

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I'll use the .458 Woodleigh FMJ 480 grain. Loaded with 105 grs of AR2213SC plus a filler to use up the excess space. Velocity is about 2170 fps.

I have been doing some practice, but also a lot of visualising the aiming point for the brain at various angles, distances etc on photos, films etc.

A pity is I'm going to the Ado Elephant Park AFTER the hunt. It would be good practice to estimate the aiming point and see how fast it could be acquired. Without rifle of course.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
Yet's talk reloads and not game parks.
I'm loading 300gr woodleigh PP and 300gr hornady FMJ in 375H&H 90.5 grains AR2209 getting 2550-2600fps these loads are for me up coming water buffalo hunt.

In my .375 H&H Mag I load 74 grs of AR2209 for a 300 gr Woodleigh RNSP for approx 2350 fps. This is a mild load but very accurate.

Increasing this to 76 grs of AR2209 gets 2450 fps but accuracy is much decreased.

My rifles barrel is quite short which also decreases velocity.

90.5 grs (AR2209 - Top Predator) as above is quite a bit more and worth checking for pressure. Is the quoted velocity an estimate or from a chronograph?

I think I estimated AR2208 as being better for the .375 H&H as well but when building up loads couldn't get any so used AR2209 instead. Trying AR2208 is still on the cards.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I have f**ked up killpc that should read 80.5gr of AR2209,the rounds i took to Australia were 79.5 grains AR2209.

Just goes to show,we must always check loads posted on the internet with a load book.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries mate I thought you F&$k*#d up typing the topic, just didn't want to say that first up incase you had some super duper unknown 375H&H improved thingie, I've found the 2209 about the best powder for this cal. in the heavier projies bloody accurate and hard hitting..Les

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My load behind the 300 gr Hornady RN in my cz .375 H&H is 78 gr of AR2209, I have no idea of what speed it's doing but I think it's pretty mild. Your on the right track with the woodleigh as the Hornady RN is VERY soft and breaks up on thin skinned animals.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote