Find
Notify
Tools

If you could move to NZ,where
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HI,

I am just throughing this out,if you could move to NZ where would you move to? I think down the road I may take a vaction there,beaches,women etc.I live in Alaska and it is freezing right now.I have been building a house here for 4 years and still work up to the my ears to do. Anyway I think maybe one day of selling and moving, and NZ sounds great,good hunting,fishing nice beaches.women in tiny bathing suits,hay here in Alaska it is slim pickings.I just wonder where,north or south ,maybe some of you men can say where is best overall area.hunting and fishing a most, Kev

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
New Zealand is probably not the best place for beaches and bathing suits. stir
Wanaka would be the place for me, but if your after Beaches, the northern parts of the north island would probably be the best areas (Bay of Plenty area).

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Yes for beaches and bathing suits Australia or south of France would be pick thumb

South island climate will be more what you are a custom too,better freshwater fishing,Apline hunting,better waterfowl hunting.

Bay of Plenty is a great spot,be over there in 2 days sitting in the sun with a Scotch thumb

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
Yes for beaches and bathing suits Australia or south of France would be pick thumb

They've started wearing bathing suits in the south of France?

http://gofrance.about.com/cs/n...urism/a/capdagde.htm

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Jeeze, OZ hunter I live in Wanaka, and I have the girl I want. Yeah the hunting goods and the fishings great,they must be or why else would i attempt to make a living at guiding!
Kev 5000 If I had to second guess my guiding I'd be in Alaska in a flash.
Throw on some warm clothes and go for a walk in the snow mate, you must have bad cabin fever.
Besides from my 50 yrs of experience and with the utmost respect and yes a little fare ! our kiwi women can be a tad strong willed for most tastes.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
our kiwi women can be a tad strong willed for most tastes.

Aint that the truth. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If you want an alpine climate and scenery then the South Island would be the place . Lots of variety , from the supposedly wet and windy West Coast to the arid semi desert of the MacKenzie district in central Otago.

If you are after tits on beaches then the North Islands Bay of Plenty or Hawkes Bay would the place to go .

Id go for the South Island scenery myself , given that anything with tits or tyres will cause you grief at some stage ( plus I am old and married so even window shopping has its hazards these days )

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here, New Zealand is often mentioned as one of the very best places in the world to live; good climate, no pollution, wonderful landscapes and almost no crime....is that true?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Here, New Zealand is often mentioned as one of the very best places in the world to live; good climate, no pollution, wonderful landscapes and almost no crime....is that true?

In short, YES, it is one of the best places to live in on Gods good earth.
clap clap clap

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI

Thanks for the replys I am getting.I just like all the game NZ offers,I live in SE Alaska and it has great fishing,but truth about the hunting on the island I live is that the only game here is blacktail and bear.I am getting ready to eat some blacktail sausage right now,but other than that the hunting here is not really good.And women here good luck ,I think people look at Alaska and think hunting is all over the place and that is just not the case,hunting here is hard and costly. not to mention one has to travel great areas to get to the game one is looking for,certain game in certain areas,vast areas,I am willing to bet NZ is a far better place to hunt than Alaska,and since I am bitching,if you live here in AK and you want a house either be loaded or get ready to work your ass off building it your self and trust me you are not getting help,even if you want to pay someone it is hard to find anyone,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Unfortunately I couldn't survive a +24 hours flight Big Grin

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All depends on what you want Big Grin I love knocking around fiordland, but it's bit of a hike from there to go chase tahr, otherwise Te Anau is number one. And the birds (titted type) are great through the tourist season Wink

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yup - probably the only downside for someone from the US or Europe would be the geographic isolation - but without that we wouldnt be what we are

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highlander:
Jeeze, OZ hunter I live in Wanaka, and I have the girl I want.

Yeah, but I bet she is rarely in a bathing suit for fear of frost bite or being eaten buy the sand fly's. Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by highlander:
Jeeze, OZ hunter I live in Wanaka, and I have the girl I want.

Yeah, but I bet she is rarely in a bathing suit for fear of frost bite or being eaten buy the sand fly's. Wink

A bathing suit,more like a wool blanket

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:
almost no crime....

jumping jumping We have some of the most f**ked up,sick pieces of shit to be found anywhere on earth.

One of them was Prime minister for 9 years Mad

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a last silly question: are NZ policemen armed or not, like in GB?

One of Us
Picture of Breith
posted Hide Post
I will agree on Wanaka being the place to live, when that time comes!

yes they are armed

Posts: 36 | Location: Denmark - | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost anywhere in NZ is close to some form of reasonable hunting,but if I were to pick up and move for the reason's listed, it would be Nelson I'd move to. Center of the country, good hunting on the back door, half a days drive to Tahr country and plenty of sun and beach's.
As a rule our cop's arn't armed, but have easy access to weapons when they think they may need them.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
South island climate will be more what you are a custom too,better freshwater fishing,Apline hunting,better waterfowl hunting.

Come on TP, the weather between here and there can't be compared. There just two different animals.

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
Wanaka when the super and the shares go back up - pipe dream who knows when that will be

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lake Hawea for me
1hr from Queenstown 10 mins from Wanaka yet it still feels like heartland NZ.

4 deer species and the tahr & chamois all within 3 hrs drive. Pigs, wallabies and I dought there is enough ammo in the whole country to take car of the rabbits, hares and possums.

Snow in winter and clear hot days in summer. The sun is a little fierce in summer though since the northern hemisphere destroyed our ozone.

Posts: 35 | Location: South Island New Zealand | Registered: 19 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thats a valid point E-FR .

Northern Hemisphere folk wont know about the hole in the ozone layer that their cans of underarm deoderant has caused , which stretches over most of Antartica and swings out over us . Ultra-violet light radiation is the highest in the world here so you need to use a real good sunscreen and wear a good hat or you will get fried . Some of us wear sunglasses all year round to combat the glare as well .

Even Paradise has a few drawbacks .....

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ethical-freeranger:
The sun is a little fierce in summer though since the northern hemisphere destroyed our ozone.

But you don't mind using their Cars, Fuel, Gortex and Nylon fabrics , Graphite Rods, Bug Spray, Lead Bullets, Binoculars, Rifles, Helicopters, plus much much more.
Oh, and all that Tourist $$$$$$ from those wicked northern hemisphere People . Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ethical-freeranger:
...The sun is a little fierce in summer though since the northern hemisphere destroyed our ozone.

That's one amazing statement! Big Grin

I'm an evil polluter Eeker

Ozhunter.... clap

One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
I like a lot of what the states has to offer. My wife and teenagers are US citizens but for all year round hunting action you can't beat NZ's Central Otago or even Marlborough.
I live in Arrowtown my neighbour is from Alaska he says the same things you do.....cepting he already lives here.

This is the local newspaper for the Wanaka Queenstown area there are probably links to various places.
Mountain Scene
This is an index to what people earn in NZ it is nor very high.
Who earns what
The local Otago paper. Otago Daily times

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Almost anywhere in NZ is close to some form of reasonable hunting,but if I were to pick up and move for the reason's listed, it would be Nelson I'd move to. Center of the country, good hunting on the back door, half a days drive to Tahr country and plenty of sun and beach's.
As a rule our cop's arn't armed, but have easy access to weapons when they think they may need them.

What he said, & I wouldn't be prejudiced at all now would I? Wink

quote:
Orinally posted by wildboar:

We wish, but its not too far away from the truth, closer than most other countries can claim. We're a long way from being perfect, we do have our shitty side but as I like to tell those who constantly knock the country they live in, go find a place that ticks the boxes as well as this one. I travelled enough when younger to basically believe that to be true. Horses for courses though & I don't necessarily think that our somewhat cruisey laid back country is for everyone.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The sun is a little fierce in summer though
The sun is fierce! But that's actually due to our stunningly clear skies. You won't believe the sun damage to car roofs and hoods paintwork. And the ozone hole does reach out over us!

P.S. Auckland is not part of New Zealand.
(Now why would I go and throw that in?) Big Grin

beer

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lake Hawea for me
1hr from Queenstown 10 mins from Wanaka yet it still feels like heartland NZ.

4 deer species and the tahr & chamois all within 3 hrs drive. Pigs, wallabies and I dought there is enough ammo in the whole country to take car of the rabbits, hares and possums.

Snow in winter and clear hot days in summer. The sun is a little fierce in summer though since the northern hemisphere destroyed our ozone.

I just had a look on Google earth, that looks like a pretty nice place to be.

I hunted down near Franz many years ago, the tops after chamois and the coastal scrub for deer. Managed to score a chamois but missed on a deer. I think I had nightmares about supplejack for the next five years!! Big Grin
I really should make the effort to get back over there. "Warbirds over Wanaka" holds a lot of appeal.

John

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst thing about the Wanaka - Queenstown area is that for this coming week the place explodes with an influx of mad party goers.

Best thing to do is move out before they move in, we're heading to the west coast for some time out and a venison or two.

I can relate to the supplejack vines, spent a fair bit of time trapping possums there and also hunting chamois.

Posts: 35 | Location: South Island New Zealand | Registered: 19 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes for beaches and bathing suits Australia or south of mb:

not a good choice - sharks, stingers, crocodiles... too much ways how to die while swimming...

:-)

I don´t tell You which spot exatcly I would choose in NZ (because that would be crowded then when I maybe want to move to it...), but I would go for the south island ! (I have been there and only looking for the next chance to grab an air-ticket back again...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Klaus we have no autobahn and there more highway patrol officers than Sheep in the south island Eeker

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Klaus we have no autobahn and there more highway patrol officers than Sheep in the south island Eeker

@Top Predator: Shure a problem for me as a small "car collector" - where to drive my 2 old BMW´s ??? :-) (if I should come over one day)

But You ave other nice advantages (and I also would say, some of the nicest women are walking through the streets in NZ!) such as a very beautifull country, free hunting, and much more...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nzsr
posted Hide Post
If I was looking for a place in New Zealand that offered decently priced housing coupled with reasonable access to hunting I would choose Christchurch.There is every chance of finding work there,the climate is mild and the beach is not too far away.

I lived in Alaska for three years and as the saying goes

"In Alaska you don't loose your girlfreind,you just loose your turn"

Best plan might be to head over,buy a cheap car and tour around having a look at the country.

Best of luck with your endevour mate.

Posts: 27 | Location: Kiwi by birth,Norway for work | Registered: 21 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:

In short, YES, it is one of the best places to live in on Gods good earth.
clap clap clap

HAH, personally im sick of having to put on sunblock! and that everything is 4x the price of what it is in the US.

other than that its OK

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, please don't let us hold you back.
Bon Voyage! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lemme see, I own about a dozen handguns, five shotguns, and about fifteen centerfire rifles.
What part of NZ has the most firearms friendly government?

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NZ has only one government, same rules/laws for everyone except those who abide them are worse off than those who dont.

oldun, if i were going anywhere it would be close to the elk.

but im a shepherd and i like being able to just get on the 4wheeler and ride for half an hour and be in red deer country on private property. any weekend I like. Im also fortunate my brother is one working on otupae station on the napier tihape. and I get to go hunting reds and sika there. ah the good life! plus my mate has a luxurious hut on a set of ranges in the wairarapa with a few reds and fallow on it...yeah im braggin!

guess I cant complain too much!

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There you go Paul, you do live in one of the best if not the best little country in the world! Bloody Great isn't it. thumb

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Wish they still had the five quid deal on!!! jumping

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote