Find
Notify
Tools

Best value lightweight binoculars
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Any ideas of best value on a lightweight pair of binocs for hunting in semi-open country (500-800m max)for a couple of hundred dollars. Forget Ziess, Karhles etc, I don't want to hock my car!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with my Leupold Golden Ring compact binos... 10x and very clear. They're gas-filled so no fogging either. They're around $400 but for compacts I think they're among the best. Like you, I wouldn't pay much more for any brand of bino's... Zeiss is way overpriced.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If you hock your car you would be able to buy a nice plastic set of binos from the K-Mart kiddies toys department - but only if the car buyer has failing eyesight.....

I have a compact set of Tasco 7 x 25 that suit my purposes , but they are probably too small for wide open country . At least they dont make you look like a well endowed lady jogger if you have to run with them down your shirtfront.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Pentax DCF WP 8x32's that I'm very happy with. They have been discontinued but I have heard good things about the Pentax DCF HR II. Cabelas.com has them for under $300. Waterproof, lightweight, sturdy, phase coated...

Also some of the Nikon binoculars are supposed to be pretty good these days...

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
BAW, check out Pentax 10x25 UCF X - I went to 'The Binocular and Telescope Shop' at 55 York St Sydney, (ph (02) 9262 1344).

They're pretty good, and I paid $189 each for two pairs - one for me, one for my son. Very light and compact - also easy to use and adjust. I'm impressed.

I looked thru a few bino's ranging from $2700 - BEAUTIFUL, down to $500 - EXCELLENT, the difference between the $500 and the $200 Pentax was negligible - maybe in poor light, there'd be something there, but i'm not convinced.

My Pentax's are made in China, but so is my son's Tasco WC 3-9x40 scope - and there isn't all THAT much difference between it and my Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40! I know, there is a difference, but it's subtle, and in the field, I've never been handicapped by it!

Might just suit your needs?

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HTH

Pentax's as above.

Pentax UCF X Series are ergonomically designed and streamlined.

Optimum holding comfort and ease, even during extended viewing sessions.

Durable black rubber housing protects the inner mechanisms from shock and dust.

Provide firm grip even on rainy days.

Large 25mm objective lenses ensure sharp, clear image, even under poor viewing conditions.

Extra short minimum focusing distance of 6.2' to observe close objects with outstanding clarity.

Built-in diopter adjustment ring pops up to make adjustment operation easier.

Fast and easy focusing is ensured with the conveniently located center focus ring.

Slide-style eyepiece rings can be pushed in and out for extra viewing comfort when in use.

Eyeglass wearers can take advantage of the long eye relief in order to see the entire field of view.

High quality BaK-4 prisms transmit more light at the edges for easy viewing in dim light.

Super-Multi-Coating is used on all optical surfaces to eliminate harmful ultraviolet rays.

Improved light transmission for high contrast images with no glare or flare.

Inverted porro prism design results in a lightweight and compact body.

Field of View at 100 yards: 261 ft.

Exit Pupil: 2.5mm.

Eye Relief: 15mm.

Relative Brightness: 6.3 .

Diopter Adjustment Range: +/- 4 Diopter.

Eye Width Adjustment Range: 2.2 to 2.8".

Focusing Range: 6.2' to infinity.

Size: 4.5 x 4.3 x 2.2".

Weight: 10.6 oz. (300g).

Includes: Eyepiece lens cap, Case, Neck strap (Quick Strap).

Pentax limited lifetime warranty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a set of Bushnell 8x21's for $35 Canadian including tax. My friend was impressed with them so I got him an early birthday present. They are small enough and light enough to be quite handy,even on a 3D archery course. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shaun, that's them! Gee, if I didn't know better, I'd swear that you'd copied and pasted your eloquent and concise description from the Pentax website!

Ummm what's HTH mean?

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
mate - I think it means hard to hold....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Muzza, I haven't had any probs?

one of us
posted Hide Post
HTH=Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Quote:

HTH=Hope this helps.

Ah! me thinks, Hell they Hurt

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Thanks Shaun - that little creep from a cross the ditch will keep, that's for sure!! Bastard! He got me!

Muzza, be warned, us Cancerians have veeeery looong memories, and I'm sort of planning a trip to your neck of the woods - a couple of beers will earn your pardon

Back to bino's, my boy and I are really happy with the Pentax's.

Mind you, the $2700 pair WERE nice, Jesus, they're worth more than my car!

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Life is too short to sleep with ugly women and drink cheap wine, so shake the gorse out of your pockets and get yourself some Swarv EL 10X32's.

They'll pay for themselves over time, especially by the time you're on the 3rd or fourth pair of cheap eye strainers.

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
BAW:
After using 8 x 25 binos (Simmons) for many years, I was determined to upgrade to something x 32 or 35 mm objective dia. They are simply worlds better than the squinty little buggers I had been labouring with for years.

Love the green armoured Leica Trinovids, but my car isn't worth that much either, so I settled on a pair of Chinese Gerber 'Montana' binos for around $150 AUS. While they are no bargain, they are shed-loads better than the old 8x25s. They are green rubber-armoured, and although only porro-prism are very light compared with the Leicas and Zeiss etc. I have been using them now for a couple of years, and can't complain. They are certainly worth a look, but remember, you only get what you pay for.
Field deployment pic attached!

HTH

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote