New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats it???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A fellow posted this pic on a message board in Alberta Canada. He bought it for $1.99 in a bargin store and wants to know what kind of hide it is. The squares tiles on the floor are 12 inches squ.

I don't know why he's asking a buch of canuks the question when he could come here to the experts. So is it a wallaby or a small roo?

Thanks!
Robin in Rocky

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
roo,wallaby`s are not a big species.

and a cheap skin at that price

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you estimate the hight of the critter by figuring the base of the tail to the end of the neck (right to left on the pic) it would be less than 2 1/2 feet. Say 2 1/2 feet from butt to head on this animal alive and sitting up. Is that TOO tall for a wallaby?

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Not so Duffy, I've seen some large agile wallabys in the NT. I thinks its a small red by the looks. Thats my best guess.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's gotta be a Red kangaroo, small, but it's the only kangaroo that's that colour.
Cheers.
416RigbyHunter.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416RigbyHunter:
That's gotta be a Red kangaroo, small, but it's the only kangaroo that's that colour.
Cheers.
416RigbyHunter.

Agree.. a small Red.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
If that skin is so small I'm wondering if its not a red. Dont they usually delelop that deep a red colouration as older animals?

I'm thinking more of a Euro or Eastern Walleroo. Mainly because the juveniles are that red when small.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Euro or Eastern Walleroo

Might I ask what that might be? (Never heard of one before! Obviously. Big Grin )

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Like a red kangaroo, just not as big and a bit 'hairier'.
Come in a few colours depending on type/location. A muddy grey is another colour = common wallaroo.
The ones I have come across have been nasty things.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote