New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short notice hunts in New Zealand?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Through a sad series of events I find myself in Auckland with a couple rifles, a fair amount of ammo, reloading equipment and nothing to do. Rather than go home with a wasted trip I'm wondering if something can be put together like goat shooting? I've put my rifles in storage with the police for now; but I'm
sure that isn't an insurmountable problem.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a long shot at such short notice but try contacting Chris at Lake Hawea Hunting Safaris.

If he's not already booked or otherwise engaged i'm sure he can jack something up for you.
He is located on the Sth Island, by the way.

Best of luck.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I was there you didn’t need to be s resident to hunt public land and camp in huts in the forestry blocks. Hire a car, grab your guns and drive south towards Taupo and call DoC on the way - a late season self guided public land hunt for reds and or sika is better than trying to find culture in Auckland

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got ahold of Gerald Telford who a friend has hunted with a few times. He's sure he can arrange something

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet you will have fun regardless!!

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im about 3 hours south of Auckland and have a couple thousand acres. Can host you and take you after some pigs and few goats etc if you get stuck.

Posts: 4296 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:
I bet you will have fun regardless!!

Ski+3

Well, it is my nature to have fun once I get a few obstacles out of the way. Smiler I still think about that trip in Argentina where we met you and your dad. Never laughed so much on a hunting trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Im about 3 hours south of Auckland and have a couple thousand acres. Can host you and take you after some pigs and few goats etc if you get stuck.

PM sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogleg,
Are you in Auckland right now..??
I live a little South of Auckland.
I can't offer any immediate hunting but would like to help you out in some way. If you decide to get down Shankspony's way ( I don't know this gentleman ) and would like a ride I would be more than willing to take you.
If you do go ahead with Gerald Telford you will be in good hands. I have hunted with Gerald and he is a great guy.
Cheers
GRANT

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2036 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm in Auckland now. Siting at a hotel by the airport and checking my emails every few minutes. It doesn't seem like Gerald can help me out this time and Shankspony's offer is seeming better by the second. I can't phone him until this evening though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you're just killing time for the next few hours could I perhaps offer you lunch today and a bit of company over hunting talk ? Would take me less than an hour to reach you.
If some hunting with Shankspony works out after talking tonight and you still want a ride the offer stands. Otherwise I could take you mid afternoon tomorrow as I have a family catch up tomorrow morning.
If txting is easier my cell. is 021934201 ( Local NZ number ), or email: gwilson@xnet.co.nz

Posts: 2036 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, talk about cooperation and offers!

Beats the joke: "when it comes out and four hands reach to put it back in---!

Mike, sounds like you're in good hands. Good luck and enjoy that fine country.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome 30,06king

Can ring me on 078767307 if you need directions.

Posts: 4296 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently at Shanksponys, a working dairy farm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How's the "doglegs" after a day with Shankspony ?
Hope you got the sights onto something.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He says they are numb...... Big Grin

Had a good start, He cleaned up 11 goats, got 3 pigs with the best being 140 lb.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent. That's what I like to hear - straight shooting, hot barrels.
Tell Dogleg that numb legs is just the initiation phase of becoming a "Kiwified" hunter. The pain wears off after a couple of months Big Grin
Good job, and thanks Shanks. Wishing you more of the same tomorrow. Let me know when the ammo runs out.... Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shanks,
A wee update. More goats dealt to during 3 exceedingly wet days, totalling 33. Then I wisked Dogleg off to another goat hotspot where between us we cleaned up 67 pesky goats. Lots of hill walking and stretching Dogleg's legs. First day was dampish but yesterday and today warm and fine. Great to be out in that. Dogleg was displaying longe range skills. Some impressive hits out to 480 yards.
Presently en route to another location for hopefully a couple of days of intense Wallaby action.
Dogleg will try to get some photos up later.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, now that is what I call hospitality!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second that. Good on you guys.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12900 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Kiwi hospitality at it's finest.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Shanks,
A wee update. More goats dealt to during 3 exceedingly wet days, totalling 33. Then I wisked Dogleg off to another goat hotspot where between us we cleaned up 67 pesky goats. Lots of hill walking and stretching Dogleg's legs. First day was dampish but yesterday and today warm and fine. Great to be out in that. Dogleg was displaying longe range skills. Some impressive hits out to 480 yards.
Presently en route to another location for hopefully a couple of days of intense Wallaby action.
Dogleg will try to get some photos up later.

Awesome! He hasn't tried to push you in the river yet has he? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No rivers there to get pushed into, so dodged that bullet.

Got down to Canterbury for the Wallaby hunt. Wet weather held us up for a day and a half but got out yesterday afternoon and got some shooting in both before and after dark. Not many Wallabies around
considering the weather but Dogleg took some great cross gully shots at what are very small targets and put down 5 for keeps. Personally I've never had much to do with really long range ballistics and have had an education the last few days. Access to the Wallaby block was provided by a gent named Dan who drove us around in his Polaris 4 wheeler. He has Swarovski binos that give straightline and corrected ballustic distance. When Dogleg computed the info into the scope adjustments the shots were remarkably true.
Sadly we could not fit in another day on Wallabies. In Picton tonight ahead of the ferry crossing and homeward leg tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the rivers; creeks? streams? we've encountered aren't the kind you would drown in if you aren't so lucky as to land on a mired cow. They were more like the kind that you would break your neck landing in.

I also resisted the urge to step on any more pig bladders.Wink

For what started out as a salvaged and spur of the moment trips this one was a resounding success. It would be difficult to articulate the gratitude I feel toward forum members 30-06 King, Shankspony and also Sarg behind the scenes. Their generosity, efforts and networks came together to change a train wreck into a success. Mind you, not the trip I'd started out on, but a unique experience none the less. I'm learning that that is the nature of adventure. If you know how it's going to turn out you're probably not having one. Smiler

I feel that in many ways I was able to see New Zealand and it's people from a different perspective than would otherwise be possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haha.... yeah I wasn't going to mention the golden shower....

Really pleased to hear you are having a great time.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yup you said it sir.

Shanks is a top guy. Very generous and hospitable. You probably got the pig I missed last time Wink

This experience shows you how our community operates and no artificial filters for commercial operators.

Great kudos to my fellow Kiwis. Well done guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Most of the rivers; creeks? streams? we've encountered aren't the kind you would drown in if you aren't so lucky as to land on a mired cow. They were more like the kind that you would break your neck landing in.

I also resisted the urge to step on any more pig bladders.Wink

For what started out as a salvaged and spur of the moment trips this one was a resounding success. It would be difficult to articulate the gratitude I feel toward forum members 30-06 King, Shankspony and also Sarg behind the scenes. Their generosity, efforts and networks came together to change a train wreck into a success. Mind you, not the trip I'd started out on, but a unique experience none the less. I'm learning that that is the nature of adventure. If you know how it's going to turn out you're probably not having one. Smiler

I feel that in many ways I was able to see New Zealand and it's people from a different perspective than would otherwise be possible.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic guys!

Mike you'll need to rebarrel that rifle when
you get home after all that shooting.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope not; I got it threaded for a can which 30-06 is holding for my inevitable return. Such a civilized improvement those are.

Final tally ended up at 108 goats,3 pigs and 5 wallabies. 30-06 got many as well, although I can't remember exactly how many.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well done guys!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. You have done better than me on the pigs Wink

Really glad you had such a positive experience and got to know first hand how ordinary Kiwi fold live and hunt.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
I hope not; I got it threaded for a can which 30-06 is holding for my inevitable return. Such a civilized improvement those are.

Final tally ended up at 108 goats,3 pigs and 5 wallabies. 30-06 got many as well, although I can't remember exactly how many.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great outcome and it certainly shows there are some great people in New Zealand.

I agree with some of the previous posters I that you got to experience a hunt in a non commercial way. To me, that would be amazing.

Great job!

Posts: 2644 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
That is awesome. You have done better than me on the pigs Wink

/QUOTE]

That's the way hunting goes. Pigs aren't a real high priority to me, therefore we stumble onto some suicidal ones. When you want something bad they are nowhere to be found.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parts of this country are rather scenic. This is the view from where we got stuck.

This one is from a not so typical situation where we were walking out and stumbled on a group sunning themselves on a fenceline at close range. We both cut loose and got them all within easy dragging distance of each other. More normal was climbing (By flatlander standards; strolling by Kiwi standards) to try to close the range down to 300 or so. 300 was a short shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the view from where we got stuck.

True, and I deliberately made no reference to this embarrassing little situation as it was totally my fault ! homer And apologies again Dogleg for the long walk home in the dark. If there was an upside it did showcase the beautiful moonrise scene over the mountains Ruapehu and Ngaurahoe.
As Dogleg states most shots were long. Very long by my standards. I was happy shooting anywhere up to about 300 - 350 yards and had my share of good hits. Shots beyond this sphere were Doglegs department and it was awesome seeing kills just shy of 500 yards and several a bit further than 600 yards when he judged the breeze correctly.
It was a great time spent with a fellow hunter / shooter. Got a bit of touring in as well as we motored to a variety of hunting locations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little walking does a guy good. It was downhill all the way too. Wink