Notify
Tools

Hog Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pics of the hog deer I got in April.
Stag with 50-110 and hind with 458Lott.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Man stop posting all these deer kills, you are making me jealous!

Congratulations, you filled out your hoggie tags.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you use enough gun????????
Could you clarify the 50-110 looks like you have a compensator or port system in front of the sight?
What make and model rifle?
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nitro no more deer hunting for 2 weeks at this stage.

APB
Only barely just enough gun. Big Grin
Yes it is a removeable muzzle brake in front of the sight. The rifle is a repro 1886 Winchester/Miroku 1886el cica 2002. I bought it last year new in box in the USA and imported it.
The rifles were chambered in 45/70 and I had it converted by Rob Blomfield in QLD to 50-110. PC who also posts here got one as well, although he used a different smith.
The original 1886's were chambered for the 50-110.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

that hind looks as though it would go nice in a camp oven with Garlic Cloves, Olive Oil and some spuds !! beer

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Those Australian Deer must be pretty dense or tough as rocks or something.

Nice looking deer I suppose. I've never seen or heard of a hog deer before, so that's a new one to me.

That 50-110 looks like a Winchester to me, but I could be wrong.

What do those Hog Deer taste like?

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
416SW

Can you please tell us what loads you are using in the 50-110 and how they shoot. Nice looking bit of gear.

By the way-Congratulations on the hoggies. I had good intentions of chasing them this year but work and family commitments didn't allow. Did you get them on public or private land.

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC
Never tried it that way, might have to give it a go.

Ben589
You must have missed my post 2 above yours -Winchester/Miroku made 2002. Yes the deer are extremely tuff, like the roo's - to tuff for air rifles you need at least a 22 rimfire or if you are into big bores nothing less than 375 will do Big Grin

Oneills
I had no time to do load development as the rifle arrived week before the season started. Load was Woodleigh 440 with nose filed down, then are 403 grns, would have to look up powder load - used 2208 only doing 1825fps approx. Have done more load development since then, in the 1900's now and will keep going, expect to get over 2200fps. 1 1/2" groups at 50yds so far.
Had 510grn and 530grn lead bullets doing 1900's but so far leading has been a problem.
Hopefully Woodleigh will develope a 525grn flat nose .510 bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
quote:
nothing less than 375 will do

LOL Big Grin

I'd hate to see what you'd go after some of our moose with, or God forbid, a rhino or cape buffalo.

And yes, I did miss the post on the Winchester ... I just sort of skimmed past it I guess ... oh well.

Keep the faith, and I wish you guys would stop importing Fosters into the US and trying to pass it off as "What Australia drinks"

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote