Find
Notify
Tools

Red Deer mount. Finally back.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted
I have finally received my Red Deer mount after a long wait. The photos don't do him justice. He is a big boy. Lucky to get in the door.

Measurements: 44 3/8" x 44" x 45 3/4" spread. Total of 368 1/4 DP Total 21 points.

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/JohnWKiely/Mount3.jpg

IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/JohnWKiely/Mount1.jpg[/IMG]

JWK

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
Trouble posting the photos

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post

WOW very nice mate. Who did the mount?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!!!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

Thanks for getting the photos up. Ted Wohlers did the mount. He has done a fantastic job.

JWK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a big bit of gear John.

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
No worries John but you can't just post some pics of a big bloke like that and not tell us about the hunt. Spill the beans mate. popcorn

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes John, let's hear the how the hunt went!
What did that bruiser score in at?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks,

I shot this big one in January this year. I was on a scouting trip is South Australia. The rutt doesn't start here until late March/early April and I always like to start looking early for sign, deer movement and the like. It was a fairly hot day and to tell you the truth I didn't expect to see much in the way of game, just looking for sign. I had my Sauer 202 takedown with the 300 Win. Mag barrel fitted. When I spotted this bloke I couldn't believe my eyes. I started the stalk but because of the wind I had to change direction completly. I lost sight of the stag for some time, found him again and after about a 2 1/2 hour stalk I was in place. At first I was using a small sappling for a rest but it just didn't seem steady enough, so I decided to risk about a 25 metres crawl to a small log which was laying the ground. Getting to the log, I just layed there for a few minutes going over in my mind how I was going to take the shot. The stag was completly unaware of my presence and was about 135 metres away. I recall thinking about pulling the trigger over and over again and just making sure the shot was perfect. I then set the trigger on the Sauer and touched off. The 180 gn Barnes TSX found its mark and the stag didn't know what had hit it. I was a fair distance from the vehicle and had left all my knives etc there so I marked the location of the animal, went and retreived my skinning gear and returned. I was glad to finish. I was dehydrated, hungry and tired by the time I had finished. I had a fantastic trophy but if I did learn one thing it is never go hunting, even for sign, without all your gear and be prepared for the unexpected.

Measurements: 44 3/8" x 44" x 45 3/4" spread. Total of 368 1/4 DP Total 21 points.

This is a great trophy for me and a hunt I shall always remember. Glad I could share and appreciate your interest.

JWK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
Great hunt and one heck of a trophy to show for it.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
WOW... Eeker...that's some rack!

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm moving to Perth in about four months. How does an Expat hunt red deer in Australia? Are there outfitters for that? Can I bring a rifle from the States and keep it with me in Oz while I live there" I should be in Australia about a year.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, nice trophy and great story! Cool

Kensco, it takes about a year to get a license in the Peoples Republic of WA. If you are prepared to jump through all the hoops, you can get a license, but you might be better off leaving your rifle at home. Probably easier to get one here, or just borrow one.
There are several members who post here who can fix you up with a guided hunt for Red Deer and supply a rifle for the hunt.

Best of luck.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote