Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65039451

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are dreaming and have been forced to admit so recently.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
After a concerted effort they knocked them off Macquarie and Norfolk islands. I believe it can happen or at least a super super reduction in numbers.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
All depends on how much time, effort and money you want to throw at it.

I think they used dogs on Macquarie island to sniff them out at one stage.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
They used everything in their arsenal on M Is besides the dogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah we have done islands here too, But they are talking the entire landmass of NZ. Not just rats but mice, cats, ferrets, possums stoats and weasels is the goal. 10 plus years into it and they have not set any regional performance goals or targets to indicate success.
What they are really waiting for is some gene editing tool.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
gene editing tool.

I have often thought that like Myxo the below could be done.

As far as the cats go perhaps they could bomb it all over with Feline Enteritis warfare. There is no specific treatment apparently. The cat lovers can get their cats inoculated.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Cats/rats are like the Euro`s in NZ and here mate and EVERYBODY needs to be involved in destroying their nests. Have you seen any at the new place? Its too cold now but perhaps earlier in the year? I knocked 39 nests here on property last year but only two nests were found this year. There were still wasps about although fairly rare. I simply don`t give them a chance and bomb them as soon as I find them. Cats here atm are non existent afaik, if my dog put one up a tree I will command the dog to stay while I went home for the gun, its no good putting the job off. Destroy on site. Couple of wasp vids,I cant remember if I posted these previously or not...old age lol.

https://youtu.be/OZqeRy-GOJY

This one has a happy ending.

https://youtu.be/xjDsnJR7iP0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep bloody rats got into some of my taxidermy while it was stored here before we arrived.luckily damage is in less visible spots.
And there are shitloads of wild cats that need cleaning out.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Is the shorthair any good at finding the cats?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont let him chase stuff hes not meant too. Birds only. Biggest reason is its a piss off if they start hunting for other game and most likely possums. second reason is possums and cats can take out an eye before they die.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Nah, good dogs shut their eyes mate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep and if he doesn't I have to deal with Kathrin.....

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I did an info session with a group of guys in the SSAA Townsville on how to teach their dogs to smell and indicate on feral cats. Apparently they had a deal with National Parks about finding cats. Don't know what ever become of that little project.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I remember not so long ago that the Sydney council employed blokes/terriers as pro ratters.

Its not hard for dogs with prey drive to quickly learn that cats are enemies.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah Brisbane council had a few teams on the payroll. There are a lot of clips on youtube on ratting. Even a guy that uses a mink.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I was heavily involved in a pest control operation some years ago , on a land-locked block of bush approximately a square mile in area. We were doing preliminary control on rats , mice, cats , possums , hedgepigs and mustelids.

We used aerial 1080 . Yes - the same 1080 that has hunters up in arms at the very mention. And I have to say that in a small area such as ours - it worked amazingly well on pest animals .The kill rate was much higher than usual for this type of operation , but the area was smaller and application was much more precise via helicopter, than you got on a much bigger area simply due to the terrain and small scale .
I will say that we killed some native birds - and some introduced birds. But the number of chicks that survived in the next nesting season far far outweighed the survival rate pre poisoning.
The area now has a predator proof fence around it - whilst still allowing 24-7 access to the public and vehicles - and is one of the most successful conservation projects in the country.
Rotokare.org.nz if you are interested . Im not involved now but have the satisfaction of being involved at the start and seeing it prosper.

So - pest free NZ? Not a fuc*ing hope . Like the Mitre Ten advert - tell'em they're dreaming .Small area - it works . Remote islands - it works . Populated areas it simply doesnt and cannot because people are involved.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Good story that one on Rotkare Muzz.

Good to see that you used a homegrown Aussie product too.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is a story that will make you very sad, as it did to me.

We were in the Maldives.

They have certain islands that are classified as nature reserves, and no one is allowed on them.

Being curious, I asked if I could get permission to visit one.

The manager of the resort we were on sent in n application for a permit.

We got a permit for one day.

6 am to 6 pm.

He asked if he could come along too.

It was quite far, so we left our island at 3 in the morning.

Got there by sun up.

The island used to be inhabited, and there were some deserted structures.

It was a total shock to us.

Totally run over by rats.

They were running all over the place, no hardly any other creatures!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
That is pretty sad. Being an island with a bit of effort they could wipe the rats out and reintroduce native animals.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the government even knows about this?

The rats should be eradicated.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Are those rats with the big ears we find in alpine huts to be hated, too?

They are a PITA if you leave the tuckerbox open but I've assumed they were some native species.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Rats are filthy vermin.

Kill them all and then some and I am fine with that.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote