Find
Notify
Tools

Layover on way to Sydney?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted
I have reason to fly to Australia in late January or early February. I cannot sleep on airplanes and the 14-hour flight from Los Angeles to Sydney is tough on my 77-year-old bones. I'd like to break the trip up by spending the night somewhere along the way other than Honolulu. Has anyone laid over in Tahiti en route to Sydney?

Bill

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fiji might be a better option to look at mate... tu2

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Matt. I'll check it out. Any recommendations for a place to stay there?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
I have reason to fly to Australia in late January or early February. I cannot sleep on airplanes and the 14-hour flight from Los Angeles to Sydney is tough on my 77-year-old bones. I'd like to break the trip up by spending the night somewhere along the way other than Honolulu. Has anyone laid over in Tahiti en route to Sydney?

Bill

I've laid over in both Tahiti and New Zealand. either place is well worth some extra time. If Tahiti, consider the 30 minute ferry to Moorea. Re-read Michener's Tales of the South Pacific.

My wife spent a week in Fiji. OK for getting an night's stopover, but wouldn't do it again (tourist) whereas would do the first two anytime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Thanks, Matt. I'll check it out. Any recommendations for a place to stay there?

Bill Quimby
No but if you need a good travel agent to advise I can hook you up with our private agent in Australia. She will advise.

Yes NZ is a good option too! Fiji and NZ really dont split the trip in half though....

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I hunted on both New Zealand islands years ago. The non-stop flights (as I remember them) from LAX to Auckland were close to the same number of hours it took to get to Sydney when I was there in 2008.

What I am looking for is a way to make two shorter flights out of one long one, as well as visit a place I've not seen before.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the only options have been mentioned.

Agree, LAX to Aukland isn't much shorter than
LAX to Sydney.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
LAX to Auckland is 12 hours

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote