THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    legal cartridges for deer hunting in Victoria

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

legal cartridges for deer hunting in Victoria
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted
My family is planning to move to Melbourne, from Illinois, sometime near June. I see there are several types of deer to be hunted in Victoria.

Are there legal restrictions on which cartridges can be used for deer hunting, or is it the hunter's discretion? What government hoops does one have to jump through before being allowed to hunt? I've already found out that just getting my rifles there will be an annoying process.

Karl

[ 11-19-2003, 08:55: Message edited by: asdf ]

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

I think if you can get your rifles there, then that means you'll already have a Firearm's licence. After that you just need a Victorian Game licence, which is no issue, just hand over your money.

I think the only deer with minimum calibre requirements is Sambar, and the min. is 270. I think you'll find most people would recommend something a bit heavier than that for Sambar though. Typically they are shot with 30/06 up. Lots of .444's and 45/70's used as ranges at which Sambar are shot are rather short.

Try this link for further info:

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/web/root/domino/cm_da/nrenrt.nsf/frameset /NRE+Recreation+and+Tourism?OpenDocument

[ 11-19-2003, 09:42: Message edited by: Stu C ]

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
The mexicans here about can answer better than I. Stu is right the min for sambar is .270 130gr bullet and I think .243 for hog deer. If you find red and rusa in your area I don't think they have a minimum.

Here is a link to the Australian Deer Ass
http://www.austdeer.com.au/default.htm

Hope this helps

Bakes

Posts: 7980 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Bakes is right min. for sambar deer is .270, 130gn and hog deer .243, Saying that, Sambar stags are big and strong, the deer hunting clubs advise a min of 30.06 and a strong 180gner, I use a 375H&H most of the time and I'm glad I do, you can hunt Sambar deer all year round, hog on a ballot system for one month of the year, once you have your shooters licence the rest is easy. Vic. deer hunting permit AU$40 per year....maybe we can get together when you come over,,off to work tomorrow be back late December...Les

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes .270cal min for ALL deer except hog deer which is 243cal (90grn I think)
There is also min cartridge length but 308 win makes min length.

Bow hunting is also legal but does not have seperate season.

Muzzle loaders also legal forget min cal

Also need tags for hog deer 1 stag and 1 hind per person per year, month of April only, tags are free, but there is a fine for not filling out the return and any hog deer taken has to go to checking station within 24hrs.
There is hunting on public land for hog deer, the ballot is for managed land at Blond Bay.

Sambar hunting all year except some areas closed for summer.

Red deer have a season usually about June

Fellow are legal on private land

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Those mimimums are the legal requirements of the State of Victoria.

Other states have different laws or no laws eg South Australia - no season, no permits, no minimum calibre for any deer. Just need landowner permission to get access.

Good luck in your shift to Melbourne.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In West Virginia (America), any centerfire rifle cartridge is legal for deer. I know, I know, this is the Australia forum. Forgive me, I have a point.

I was in a sporting goods store, and a fellow was asking the guy behind the counter whether a 243 was legal.

"Any centerfire rifle cartridge is what the law says".

"How about a 223, can you hunt deer with that?"

"Well, the law says you can, if it's a centerfire rifle cartridge."

"So I could go out and kill a deer with a 22 Hornet, and that's okay?"

Finally the guy behind the counter says, "Buddy, half the bow-killed deer that guys bring in here have been shot with a 22 Magnum."

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Stu C, that link was the one I needed. And it was depressing. I see you folks have the same absurd bureaucrats as found in many U.S. states.

The regulations, as presented on the site, would allow the two smaller deer (fallow and hog) to be hunted with the puny .25-21 Stevens (available from Bertram) using a tiny, pure lead pill over black powder. The .44 Magnum firing premium 300 gn bullets over heavy charges of smokeless is illegal. Like I said: absurd bureaucrats.

Here in Illinois it is illegal to hunt deer with a .44 Mag rifle, but fine to do so with a .44 handgun. Never mind that the trajectory of the .44 Mag rifle is no better than the legal slug guns and sabot muzzleloaders. I truly despise bureaucrats; I do, I do, I do...

Of course, the only rifles I have are single shots using pistol length cartridges, and so I currently own nothing suitable for deer hunting in Victoria. I'll have to go shopping once I have my license.

Are there many opportunites for the hunting of the "pest" animals, such as feral goat and hogs?

That DSE site suggests the sambar is the deer most readily hunted, due to numbers. What's the situation with fallow deer? What are the odds of finding unguided private land hunts for these, without paying an arm and a leg?

NitroX, what's available to hunt there in S.A.? I know a few people in Adelaide, so trips there are welcome.

HenryC470, now those W.V. regulations are ones I can respect. My hat is off to you folks.

Les, I'll write you once I'm there. I know very few people in Melbourne, other than the in-laws.

Thanks one and all for the comments...

Karl

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,
I wouldn't worry too much what officialdom has to say about this. Use your common sense about what is right and you'll be fine. If you don't have something already get your self a 30/06 in your favorite flavour and you'll be all-set for 95% of all big game hunting in Australia.

Access to animals need not be too difficult. Sambar can be hunted on State forests. Hunting those things is darn hard though. Plenty of hunters go home empty handed (myself included!) after slogging it out for a week up and down blackberry-choked gullies.

There'll be plenty of opportunities to hunt pigs, goats etc once you're settled in and making contact with other hunters. May be a bit of a drive from Melbourne though. Good luck with the move.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
asdf

the basis of the Vic regulations used to be based on the .308 case ie .243 and case 2 inches in length. The .270 same rule.

Hunting is on private property in SA and you need to get access. Species are mainly fallow, but some other species are available (full range of deer species) if youre willing to pay quite reasonable fees.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote