Find
Notify
Tools

Import permits
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Does anyone know what the procedure is for obtaining an import permit? I could go the "backdoor" and have a "gift" sent to me but I'm interested in doing it the hard way! Geez it irritates me having to go through this BS for brass.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con,
Just contact Aust.Customs and ask for the person who handles this stuff.They will advise you and send you the paperwork. I imported some brass and projectiles last year and the only hassle was the delay in getting the paperwork processed and that really didn't take too long.
Just be patient and polite and it will happen.
regards
rob.
also have a look at Lock Stock & Barrel www.lockstock.com.
I have purchased quite a few items from them. Prices are good and service is excellent.

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
In Qld, you apply to the Police Service for a Form 709B, "Permit to Import a Firearm". This permission is required for any thing that attaches to the firearm or brass that goes in it including an individual screw or brass cases.
Just show the 709B to customs when you pick up the item.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
In Qld if you want to import live ammo you must apply to the Dept of Mines and Explosives for the appropriate paperwork - they are nice helpfull people to deal with , most unlike the people in authority in some other countries Govt departments....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
Doesn't sound too painfull at all, I'll contact Customs and have the paper work sent out.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
Con
in Vic you need to contact LSB (licensing services branch) as in the firearms registry to obtain a permit you may need to get 2 original copies as you may need to send one to the exporter and you will need one here in Aus when goods arrive.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con
I have a scan of the import permit application form if you would like me to email it to you let me know.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416SW,
Yes please on the import permit application forms. Please send to chrysc@iprimus.com.au
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just don't forget that if it's out of the US, the supplier now has to get a US State Dept export license for brass and projectiles [as has been the case for all firearm parts orders over $ 100, and some specific parts, for some time].

Cost varies [check with a few suppliers], but it seems to take a minimum of 4 weeks to come through.

Another thing to watch is shipping method - if the landed cost in Oz [goods + freight] is between A$250 and A$1000, you'll save at least A$48 in charges if you get it by airmail [i.e.post office pickup]. Plus save some GST, if landed cost is less than A$500.

Weird things, our Customs regs!

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Con hadn't checked the forum will send copy when I get home.

Heard something about export regs changing in August, wonder if import will change as well.