THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOWN UNDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Australian and New Zealand Hunting    Paying the Kiwis a visit - any recommendations are welcome!!!

Moderators: Bakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paying the Kiwis a visit - any recommendations are welcome!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks,

I´ve always wanted to visit the land of the All Blacks and finally managed to catch a cheap flight from Frankfurt to Auckland! dancing

Will only be in your neck of the woods for 2 weeks but who knows when the next opportunity presents itsself...

As I really prefer to move off the beaten path, I would like to ask you all a question: What to do in 2 weeks, where to go and whom to meet to experience NZ away from the Lonely Planet readers???

I understand tourism has been growing in recent years and end November, beginning of December seems to be a busy time but any hints and tipps from you will be more than welcome!!

Now, must make sure the girlfriend does not read this: although I have been told rather clearly that this is not going to be an outdoors-hunting trip, just out of curiosity I´d be very interested to hear where to go for a nice little fishing trip or maybe even a day of stalking or shooting... Wink

Thanks everybody, looking forward to your thoughts, cheers,

elwood.

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Queenstown and Rotorua are worth a visit and then head to Australia thumb

I'm happy to take you out fishing and day of stalking.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Queenstown most definitely.

Posts: 12017 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Elwood
Don't try and do to much. NZ may look small on a map but 2 weeks just isn't enuf time to do more than skim the sights. And you say you want to get off the beaten track and relax, then i suggest you get yourselves to Queenstown and then bury yourself in the Te Anau, and Catlins.
If your serious about a plan get back to me.
Its my back yard and i know it both personally and professionally

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
+1 for the south of the south island
Queenstown, Wanaka and surrounds has good touristy stuff - to keep the g-friend happy and some of the best hunting to be had as well

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If off the tourist route is what you want, then a few days around Wanganui (Lower N Island) could be what you're after...
Interesting little city, and you could spend a day on a jet boat trip up the Whanganui river. I did this with my parents when they came over, and it was stunning.
If you want a night away in a rural farming environment (you might sell it to the gf like this...) you could look up Remote Adventures, and have a hunt Big Grin

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi everybody, thanks for all the replies, that gives me some locations to look into!

@ Top-Predator: Have been to Australia once - terribly nice place but just a tad too big for average European holidays... Wink Thanks for the offer, I shall be more than happy to get in touch - where about are you based?

@ larryshores: Thanks, Queenstown really seems to be THE place!

@ highlander: Another vote for Queenstown, thanks! Heard about the Catlins and have heard many more magic things about the Fjordlands, looks like a must on our itinerary. Looks like you a busy in the hunting and fishing business - do you also offer seafishing?

@ HendrikNZ: "to keep the g-friend happy" is a bigger task for me than good weather... Big Grin

@ bullterrier: Jet boat sounds great and thanks for the "Remote Adventures" hint, will check it out.

One other question, is there still a lot of farmers around who are desperately fighting the goat pest on their grounds? I read about it in the papers the other day, and the job sounds as exciting as roo-shooting just in a not so dry and tough environment! Wink

Cheers, elwood.

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Elwood shooting ferals goats won't be problem,how many do you want to shoot??

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most fantastic countries in the world. Just got back after being there for almost half a year. Miss it like hell already.

Queenstown was alright, but I MUCH preferred Wanaka. I would also do a boat cruise of Doubtful Sound.

Here is what you can expect.

So can you take me with you?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
@ StormsGSP: Jesus, these pictures make me wish I had 6 months instead of two weeks, too!!! Roll Eyes Sorry, no offense, but did you climb all of that yourself or did you use a helicopter?

@ top Predator: How many goats? Well, how many rounds are you allowed to import into NZ? BOOM
Seriously, has it become a hunting business in the meantime or is it still the way that farmers are thankful for all the help they get?

Thanks everybody for your help!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic photos there Storm, you have a real eye for it.
Elwood, TP can probably sort you out a bit of goat shooting, but if he is too busy, you're welcome to head out my way, there are not heaps, but we should be able to find 10 or a dozen.
Most farms don't have the goat problems of old, and finding access can be a little harder now days.

Posts: 4316 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elwood:
@ StormsGSP: Jesus, these pictures make me wish I had 6 months instead of two weeks, too!!! Roll Eyes Sorry, no offense, but did you climb all of that yourself or did you use a helicopter?

No offense taken. Yes, I climbed all those myself. I took a helicopter into the back country, but never used it to gain elevation or reach a summit.

Are you set on your Nov/Dec time period?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
@ shankspony: Thanks for the offer, I am in the middle of sorting out our route with the GF, trying to unsuspiciously include all the nice spots and locations the folks here recommended... Big Grin

@StormGSP: Well, then my hat´s off to you - congrats! clap Yes the flight is booked and the timing is fix...

Cheers, elwood.

P.S.: Am I right in suspecting that there will be no Rugby season in Nov/Dec?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from my 2nd trip to NZ last week, where I took a red stag, an arapawa ram and a feral goat.

I would do the Milford Track hike, which I did last summer (Feb). It's a 3 day hike over the MacKinnon pass, finishing in Milford Sound. It's some of the most unspoiled, beautiful scenery I've seen anywhere.
www.ultimatehikes.co.nz for more info.

Hunter308