Find
Notify
Tools

When the shooting stops...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
republished from AHN.

This is a Youtube video I put together from some footage I shot while guiding a boar hunt in the NT this August.

The scenario is that we walked in to a bait station to find ourselves (myself and a client hunter) surrounded by approximately fifty pigs of various sizes. They were doing what a large group of pigs do best at dawn - having an orgy!! Feeding, fighting and f..king is the order of the day - when such a large group gets together like that on bait, they are in a world of their own. It's Wild Kingdom!!

We crept in till we could get a clear shot at two nice boars and a largeish sow - the hunter put them down quickly and efficiently with four shots (you can see the two dead boars in the clip). The sow however ran into the long grass and dissappeared. Depite the close-range shooting about half of the pigs simply moved off slowly and to our amazement the other half stayed and kept feeding. We watched for a while and I got my new camera going with the video. These pigs eventually started moving off slowly too, as they could obviously see us and some could surely smell us too (they were all around us!) - after they were gone we could hear some loud splashing in the creek about 50 metres away. We crept over to take a look in and found two boars messing with the dead sown that was laying in the water.

One of the boars, an older one, must have seen us and spooked a little and paused as it went to make its escape out the back of the creek. I pointed at the boar and quietly hissed 'shoot him'... no shot came and the boar jumped again and made good its escape. I turned to the hunter and he had his rifle slung... Big Grin Big Grin .... oh well. I went back to the other boar withthe camera;he was still intent on messing with the dead sow. I could see that he was only a 1-2yo boar about 70-75kg liveweight and no real tusks, so we let him be and filmed him. The sow was the same size as the boar - but he could flip her around like a rag doll. I guess he could see me standing in the long grass and brush above him but obviously I was well camouflaged and he wasnt bothered by my small movements. He messed with the sow for about 5 mins, before he finally got jack of me watching him and busted out.

I think the boar was trying to get the sow to its its feet, so he could have his wicked way with it... that is my only explanation and the general concensus from everyone I have shown it to.

This is my first attempt at putting a movie clip together - I have absolutely no freakin idea what I am doing... I dont even know how to crop the individual clips, all I could do at the moment is to string the raw clips together and add some captions rotflmo bloody hell that was hard work even!! I have some other clips on my little channel - but other people put them together for me. Other people who know what they are doing Big Grin .... thanks Other People!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpdhSBlcSLQ

Here are the two boars that we shot off the bait - the hunter looks cranky - he is a bit because I made him sit on the ground to get the photos. He doesnt like doing this but I just tell him to shut the f..k up and do as he's told!! Big Grin I'm the boss.... Photos like this will live forever - we will not!! tu2

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great first effort, Matt! A LOT better than I've done in the past.

Dave Manson

Posts: 687 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Some nice pigs there tu2

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was that a horse they where eating?

Posts: 41800 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Was that a horse they where eating?

Yep

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen hippos do the same thing. I have it on video.

Damn but you hold that camera steady!

Posts: 12017 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great footage Matt. Certainly weird.
Cheers
Steve

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, all of it. Enjoyed watching the pigs.
You have a lot of pigs in your area too?

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Very nice, all of it. Enjoyed watching the pigs.
You have a lot of pigs in your area too?

Thanks,
George
We have a few concessions George - this was filmed where we do the general culling, not at the main buffalo concession.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV