Find
Notify
Tools

Grenstone valley Fallow
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
Has anyone hunted the Greenstone valley in the south island? i have drawn upper greenstone block for 5 days in July.Hope to chase Thar after the Fallow hunt is over.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Top-Predator.

Congrats on drawing a ballot in the Greenstone. First year in ages that I havn't gone down there for a hunt. Base yourself at the mid Greenstone hut and you will have a ball. Have shot a couple of bucks behind the hut and up the track towards the McKellar is usually quite profitable. Steele creek is always worth a look if you enjoy seeing large numbers of deer. Just head up to the flats by the hut and wait for the sun to hit them and then the deer will come out to warm up.

Expect it to be very cold up to 10 degrees of frost though it won't necesarily be that cold. Fallow being small deer will be searching for the sun if it is cold so look in those places and you will find plenty.

You won't find tahr that far south but you do see the occasional chammy on the tops. Also a good place for a buck is above the bushline on the faces across the river from the hut if the snow isn't too low.

Hope this is of some help for you.

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hamish,July is going to be a big month for fallow as i have a ballot for woodhill too thumb Will post photos when i get back

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Top predator , when did you hear about the woodhill ballot ? , i put in for one but havent heard anything back from them , pretty slack of them to not let the people who dont get ballots know about it . thumbdown

Posts: 24 | Location: Waikato , New Zealand | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
If you have not heard from woodhill about a block by now,i dont think you will be getting one this year.Yeah it is a bit rude they dont tell you if you have drawn a block or not thumbdown

posted Hide Post
well i hope my $20 donation goes to a good cause , a guy at my local deerstalkers was saying that hes been in there a few times and apparently the guys that arrange the ballot get the best hunting then the people drawn get to chase the spooky ones left behind , hope for your sake thats not right and good luck with your winter fallow hunts , im green with envy Smiler

Posts: 24 | Location: Waikato , New Zealand | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Do belong to the deerstalkers in hamilton bung1

posted Hide Post
i live in Te kauwhata , we have our own branch of about 25 members ,

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Do you know Rob Brown

posted Hide Post
Robert Brown , the mid 20's farmer

posted Hide Post
if it is him then the answer is yes , i actually know him pretty well he hunts a fair bit with my next door neighbour and his relations own the farm next to mine .

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Yip thats him.I have not seen him for few years now have had some good hunts with him

posted Hide Post
ive never hunted with him before , how did you get to know him ??? , what and where do you hunt mostly??

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I worked for his old man,i hunt anything that moves and anywhere,Kaimais,king country,south island.I shot with Rob about 6 years ago when fish and game had a cull on geese on the huntly lakes.Try this forum too fishnhunt.co.nz