Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone see these guys out hunting??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Atrax robustus and Oxyuranus microlepidotus

Makes me wonder if I really want to be out in the Australian Bush....

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The funnelweb and the fierce snake?
Sure, lots of them. Why do you ask?

Nothing much to worry about.
The spiders? Just don't roll your swag out until you are ready to get in, and check your boots before you put them on in the morning.

The snake? Tasty...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's the Hapalochlaena genus and the Carukia barnesi and Chironex fleckeri while beach fishing that are really scary.

It's amazing how many deadly toxic creatures are found down under. Here is the U.S our most toxic spiders rarely even send people to the hospital, the coral snake is a nasty little biter that can kill you but you don't hear of it happening, the great pacific octopus could probably drown someone if it wanted but I understand they mostly tend to zip away and hide and the jellyfish may close beaches but they can't fill the mortuaries.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll never run into those venomous Jellies or Octoinker's as I'm fishing 100 miles out in 65 degree water. They'd be dinner for something really dangerous.

There are plenty of "Nasties" here in the US but nothing like that pair I mentioned.

Had plenty of encounters with:

Mr. Big Black Alligator.

Mr. Eastern Diamondback and his Western Cousin.

The many other varieties of American Vipers.

American Spiders aren't much to talk about and neither are the toothy quadrupeds.

Of course Mister Taipan lives out in the open where-as most of the bad guys I've come accross here were in swamp or forest.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you could call rainforest and eucalypt grasslands open.

BTW, before you run you own bities down too far, what about the Fer-de-Lance? I seem to recall being briefed in that little sucker while at The Jungle survival school in Panama. Nasty.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up here this is the only guy I look to avoid.

Agkistrodon piscivorus

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two types of Taipan . Think they are ranked number 1 and 2 as the most dangerous in the world . The fierce snake or inland taipan (Number 1) is limited to country where there are very few humans . The coastal taipan inhabits Northern Australia which in some areas is not so sparsely populated .
Will be hunting in coastal taipan country in a few weeks and am hoping not to see one . I will certainly be carrying a snake bite kit though .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some photos if you can....safely!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn I clicked on the link thinking I was going to see a photo of me and my mate.

Instead, just some things you stomp. nilly

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote