Find
Notify
Tools

Australia Outfitter - Culling hunts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I decided that I'd really like to get out to Australia for a big hunt. The opportunity to take out all those feral beasts is just too attractive. Could someone recommend some good outfitters and/or guides?

Am I correct in assuming there's more game than one person can shoot over there? I'll be carrying a 300WinMag - should be plenty for everything?

If anyone can add a list of feral species that need to be reduced I'd appreciate that too.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
see reply in Big Game forum.

F.

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Gonzo
Yep there is more game than a person can shoot, problem is that you are a visiting hunter and the outfitters will charge you like a wounded bull for them. It may be just me but I'd find it hard to pay a $100-$200 for a pig or Donkey if you've bought a Buff hunt for 5-10 grand US (or what ever they are charging)

Your 300Winmag will be fine. If you are after buff and scrub bull a 375 would be better but if the 300 is all you've got, it will handle the big stuff with a strong bullet. JMHO.

In the Territory we have
Dingo's
pigs
Donkeys
Horse's
Sambar Deer
Buff
Banteng
Magpie geese.

Other states have
pigs
goats
Deer: Sambar,Chital,Fallow,Hog,Rusa,Red
Fox
rabbit/Hare
A search on the net will turn up some outfitters. I've never hunted with one so I can't recomend any.

Bakes

Posts: 7979 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The prices Ive heard for overseas hunters were a lot more than I (or any other locals) would think of paying. The best idea is get info from Aussies on the board here about which outfitters to go for and book it in Australia. When were you thinking of hunting, I have a fair bit of time off and am always keen to go out for a hunt.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. 500

I happen to be coming to Oz for 2 months in Feb to April of 2004 If me and the missus took a train up for a couple of days would you take us out?

Of course we would have to get the non-psycho internet thing happening. Like talk on a real phone and make sure you are sure we aren't total wacko's (haha) I'm fairly safe but watch out for my little woman.

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are only 3-4 months of the year when we dont go hunting in North Queensland. They are January to April because of the wet season. But then again, they are predicting a fairly dry wet season this year so who knows. I will drop you an email with details.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gonzo , Where abouts were you going to go in OZ. Or better still ,what game are you after? If you are after big stuff like Buff,Banteng and scrub bulls,along with pigs then up north around Darwin in the area. If you are after various kinds of Deer(and other smaller stuff, then they are usualy a few thousand kilometers south