New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sambar
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I managed to get in a few days hunting while home in Australia a couple of weeks ago. Shot two dingoes, and a small stag on the last morning more or less in the last gully I was seriously going to hunt. I'd been hunting hard for the previous 4 days in productive country but without much luck. So while this guy is pretty small, he was well earned (and he taste good too Wink)

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Stu

Well done. Many people believe any sambar is a trophy.

Lots of nice venison and a real change from Switzerland eh?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Stu, what rifle and load did you use ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Stu

Well done. Many people believe any sambar is a trophy.

Lots of nice venison and a real change from Switzerland eh?

That's the way I figured as well. I shot that deer at about 10:30am. I'd been hunting since first light about 6:20 that day plus the previous day's mornings and afternoons. That morning I'd been walking up and across a bunch of blackberry choked gullies and was ready to head home. I was planning to drive back to Sydney about lunchtime that day. That plan changed once I got the deer down and I spent the whole afternoon packing out, luckily I had another bloke's help. He got most of the meat.

The rifle was my re-barrelled Sako in 308. Ammo was plain-Jane 150 gr. Winchester Power Point factory stuff. One shot from under 50 yrds into the chest, deer ran 30 yrds or so and keeled over just as I was ready to put another one into him. I didn't get off the second shot. It wasn't needed.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice stag, they are a very unique looking animal!

~Ann

Posts: 19213 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stu
good feeling isnt it
i had a poke around last week and didnt see much jumped in the truck to go home drove about a kilometre and here is a stag walking out of some t tree on to the side of the road...he s sure to get a visit from me one afternoon
he was about the same size as yours stu
regards daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I need to visit Melbourne for a day in either May or June and also drop off a rifle for some simple work at a gunsmith. Also drive home three crates of African trophies from the taxidermist if they haven't been sent already.

I was thinking while he works on it, two or three days in the bush would be nice. Good timing for your post.

What are the chances?

Not a sambar stag, but getting the gunsmith work done in two or three days! Smiler

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
NitroX,

John, if you have a couple of days to 'kill' why not go up to Mansfield and hunt with Ken Leatham for a couple of days. Ken has a large cabin and will take you out and put you into some good country for a very modest fee. How Ken operates is to pick you up from the cabin at around 5am and drop you into likely spots and tell you where to go and how to hunt that area and he then drives around to a rendezvous point and will be waiting with a fire and a cup of tea/coffee. When you arrive, Ken has a good listen to how you went and what you saw and then works out the next area to drop you into. Normally you can do two or three such hunts a day - depending upon the distances and terrain involved. I haven't hunted with Ken for a couple of years but he used to charge $75 a day for this service and this includes the use of the cabin and kitchen/sleeping bunks. Ken will also guide you one-on-one but at a greater cost.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice stag Stu

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done Stu. look forward to hearing of your hunting exploits in Europe.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote