New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reboring ,does anyone do it in oz ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello does anyone know if any Australian barrelmakers do reboring work ? i know there was at least one, but the name escapes me .Have an old winchester i would like to have rebore ,re rifled, thankyou for any information

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know as well, for the same reason. I have asked a few well known smiths downunder and they will do it but the cost was the same as a new barrel, perhaps a little more. Exceeded the worth of the rifle so unless you have a rare variation and want to keep the original external finish and profile, you and I seem to out of luck in Australia. Liners and the work involved are much more reasonable in the US.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best bet is to try MAB in Queensland...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sprinter Arms in South Australia do rebores. They bored a 30/06 out to 35 Whelan for me 25 years ago.
Cheers Malcolm

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto for Sprinter, they have rebored several barrels for me but it was years ago now (20ish) & the latest info I had was they're not too keen on it now & would only do it if it was imprtant for the originality of the firearm. Google should lead you to them, I don't think they have a website, but you should get an address & phone no. Ringing them will answer your queries one way or 'tuther.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Sprinter arms did do a lot of rebores, many years ago, but I know that about 25 years ago John Bridgeman, when he was alive and running sprinters, decided that they weren't selling enough barrels and so he decided to make re-bores the same price as new barrels so I think that was the end, effectively, for re-bores.

I don't know if anyone does them anymore, though.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I do know of someone with a barrel boring and rifling machine but he is here in NZ and I have no idea of his price.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shinzo pretty much summed it up. Only for historical reasons will they consider a rebore and then you get no guarantees. I've owned a 10.75x68 using a rebored barrel and it fouled like mad. I now have an M17 stamped '35-06 Whelen' with a rebore so smooth you'd struggle to pick it unless you saw the military markings on the barrel.

MAB (TSE) will not rebore, only sell new barrels. What they will do at a dirt cheap price is re-profile. Cheapest in Oz.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote