Find
Notify
Tools

West Coast Tahr ballot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted
Only 9 days to go you can download and apply online for a tahr ballot here Wilderness tahr ballot

Overseas visitors, ground hunters and their guides are welcome to apply there is no need to even be in New Zealand you can do it all from where you live online. I encourage you to look at this even if you are not planning a hunt it is open to anyone on the planet and outlines the helicopter landing restrictions and requirements. coffee

Arseholes and poachers shame who take what they like over balloted hunters because they have chartered a helicopter to round up their trophies don't need one. Don't expect a warm welcome either, hopefully a set of handcuffs is all you will get this year. Big Grin

Edit to add if you want to check your guides legality on public (DoC) land hunting this year contact the office in the link above. Give the guides name and the area they intend to hunt in and describe the hunt as it is detailed to you in the guides brochure. Ask some questions because a few of you are going behind bars this season don't be that one. USA citizens who hunt overseas be acquainted with the Lacy act.

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yip, got my ballot in, the online service makes it easy, and no cost. With any luck we'll manage to have that beer this year Weathered.
Have just walked the length of the Karangarua. Weather wasn't good for hunting, cloud and rain most of the time, but still saw 65 Tahr and 8 chamois so would say that numbers over the hill should be good.
Had a good talk with James on the way in and was surprised at how low the numbers shot in the helicopter culls of nannys were, and he seems very comfortable with the situation, which is good enough for me.

Posts: 4241 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is a ballot what we would call a license or permit in the US?

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, its a lottery for a limited number of helicopter landings in a region where helicopters are usually banned. This puts you right in amoungst Tahr that are seldom hunted by foot hunters.Your chances of sucess are pretty high especially if you opt for one of the later ballot periods.

Posts: 4241 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Well now...
This is a VERY interesting thread!
The original post was dated 04 Feb. The original poster mentioned bad things would happen to POACHERS. There was a couple, shall we say unfriendly, replies. Then, mysteriously, the original post and all replies were gone. There was a NEW post, dated 03 FEB, which mentioned " Arseholes and Poachers," (Notice the new word there?)

Hummmmm.....Am I to wonder that the original poster and the "moderator" decided they didn't like the negative replies and censored the complete thread. Were the replies against the rules here? Confused

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Yes post does read a bit negative towards US hunters Frowner

Tahr Ballot is just like Ballot hunts for Antelope and Elk draw hunts in US.

We have a ballot hunt for ELk as well,be rather fitting for US hunters come and hunt Elk here,as he herd were gifted to New Zealand by Theodore Roosevelt.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread has potential. Big Grin Big Grin

Sitting in a motel in Perth waiting on a hooker every thread has potential hahahahaha

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a few photo's from last years ballot.

Mob of nannys with two bulls posturing for dominance.

Base camp where the helicopter landed us.We could shoot Tahr from camp most days at a distance of 450 yards.

Camp 2 about 2 hrs walk away, the Tahr were grazeing around us at night, and we shot a bull within 150 meters of the tents.

A 12 6/8 inch bull shot just downstream from basecamp.

A veiw of our base camp site taken by the hunters in the next block. Our tents are on the clearing in the center of the photo. The clearing is 250 yards long by 100 yards wide to give you some idea of scale.
In my opinion the West coast Tahr ballot gives a foreign hunter who wants to hunt without a guide the best chance of success.Allthough the country is as steep as anywhere else, its one of the few times you can land right in amoungst them,there are good numbers and they are relativly unhunted.
If your thinking about it, don't be shy, give me or one of the other Kiwis a call, and we'll give you the best advice we can.

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Great photos there thumb Country in the bottom photo looks a piece of piss to get around injumping

Don't be shy to post more photos.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Well now...
This is a VERY interesting thread!
The original post was dated 04 Feb. The original poster mentioned bad things would happen to POACHERS. There was a couple, shall we say unfriendly, replies. Then, mysteriously, the original post and all replies were gone. There was a NEW post, dated 03 FEB, which mentioned " Arseholes and Poachers," (Notice the new word there?)

Hummmmm.....Am I to wonder that the original poster and the "moderator" decided they didn't like the negative replies and censored the complete thread. Were the replies against the rules here? Confused

No mod has told me to pull anything, to their credit the mods seem able to let this run. I am about done with this forum at least for a while anyway. No I won't bite either TJ Big Grin

Good stuff shankspony this is how the thread should run thanks for the pics and info.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
No problem Buddy. This is the internet, so I don't get excited!
Here is a copy of the original post dated Feb.3.
I'm just courious as to what happened to it and how the text got changed..

one of us
Picture of Weathered

Posted 04 February 2009 01:02
Only 9 days to go you can download and apply online for a tahr ballot here Wilderness tahr ballot

Overseas visitors, ground hunters and their guides are welcome to apply there is no need to even be in New Zealand you can do it all from where you live online. I encourage you to look at this even if you are not planning a hunt it is open to anyone on the planet and outlines the helicopter landing restrictions and requirements. coffee

Poachers shame who take what they like over balloted hunters because they have chartered a helicopter to round up their trophies don't need one. Don't expect a warm welcome either, hopefully a set of handcuffs is all you will get this year. Big Grin

If you want to check your guides legality on public (DoC) land hunting this year contact the office in the link above. Give the guides name and the area they intend to hunt in and describe the hunt as it is detailed to you in the guides brochure. Ask some questions because a few of you are going behind bars this season don't be that one. USA citizens who hunt overseas be acquainted with the Lacy act.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
I changed it when I put a cut and paste up and posted on both sections. I decided to be less abrasive on the outfitters page and took a word out, no other influence.
I was away stag hunting for 4 days on public land here. We got overflown by another chopper going into our deer nursery as we left
Red stags in Canterbury

One of Us
Picture of MADNESS
posted Hide Post
Wasn't a white 44 with some darker markings underneath?

Posts: 159 | Location: NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 03 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADNESS:
Wasn't a white 44 with some darker markings underneath?

Nope a 500 scouting for heli hunts/veni recovery is my bet, I don't think they took anything that day it was pretty windy.