New
Find
Notify
Tools

New govt formed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And of interest too hunters is that firearms licensing to be removed from police.
The minister in charge is from the firearms community.
And also a new ministry created for hunting and fishing with a well know hunter as minister in charge.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news for now. Winston will serve his 18 months as Deputy PM before bringing down the Government.

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
And of interest too hunters is that firearms licensing to be removed from police.
The minister in charge is from the firearms community.
And also a new ministry created for hunting and fishing with a well know hunter as minister in charge.

Something sure needed to change so let's hope we see a new direction and real improvements with the above rsassignments. If Act have a major say I would be quietly confident for firearms / hunting folks. Time will tell ...

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yes I think an excellent result for firearm owners and hunters with the new coalition government. The Act party getting in it's policy for reform to be driven by their Minister in Cabinet, Nicole McKee, (Minister for Courts and Associate Minister of Justice (Firearms).
Nicole is a hunter and like myself has been a Warranted Firearms Safety Instructor for many years. She has had her own Firearms Safety business and been at the forefront of Firearms use and safety in NZ for some time. She has had a real interest in developing and maintaining clubs and ranges. Note in the Law Reform info below that she has been instrumental in getting legislation in relation to clubs and ranges repealed. The legislation was virtually going to put many ranges and clubs out of business due to high and unnecessary rule compliance and costs.
Nicole actually took myself and a few others in our area through a Range Officers Accreditation course a few years back. A really dedicated and capable person to have onside.

Then of course as shanks has said we also get a dedicated hunter as the new Minister for Hunting and Fishing signaling the new Governments recognition of H&F as a founding and integral part of our way of life here in NZ.

The great thing to come out of this new Government is to remove responsibility for the Arms Act from the NZ Police and administration of the Act from the quazi Police Firearms Safety Authority. The Firearms Act and Regulation should be under the control of Parliament, not as it has been for too long, driven by Police control.

Here is firearms policy what Act has managed to bring into the new coalition government:

Firearms Law Reform
• Rewrite the Arms Act 1983 to provide for greater protection of public safety and simplify regulatory requirements to improve compliance and pass it through all stages during this term of Parliament.
• Transfer responsibility for the Arms Act 1983, policy and regulation to the Ministry of Justice, and transfer the Firearms Safety Authority, administrator of the Act, to another department such as the Department of Internal Affairs.
• Review whether the Firearms Registry is effectively improving public safety, beginning by June 2024.
• Immediately begin to repeal and replace Part 6 of the Arms Act 1983 relating to clubs and ranges

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome update, thanks Eagle.

the Pom, I understand your view, but I get the feeling that these guys have set themselves up for maybe a crack at nine years in power.
Over the board there have been no silly appointments and the team selected from the 3 parties seems mostly very capable compared to the last lot.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hope your optimism is justified but from bitter personal experience of Winston's lies I wouldn't trust him to mind a corner shop. After 44 years as a National party member and office holder my donations now go to Act.

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Can we wait and see ?

Anything has to be better than 6 years of those tyrants we had......

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. A shining beacon for us Aussies, discounting Adern and her clusterfuck era.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome news fellas. I know I'm on the other side of the globe but this still warms my heart.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love to see accurate firearms sales figures for the next six months - hearing lots of speculation that purchases are being held off until after the registry review to ensure the new authority doesn’t send a letter asking for all the details to be added to a criminal’s shopping list. Passive defiant noncompliance perhaps

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally yep, most of us who don't need to cross the threshold are sitting back to see what happens.