New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam bar fight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Because there is so many down-under's on this site that you might be able answer something I was told during the war. Here it goes! I was told by another eod person in my unit that just came bask from Nam that the most dangerus thing in a bar room fights in Nam were Plata-Pussies (female Australian soldiers). Is this true?

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your chain was being yanked. No female Australian soldiers got to Vietnam. Not even in supposed Non-combat jobs.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet there are a few hundred nurses that will suprised to find that out...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Kim,

Those girls I met must have been yanks learning to speak with Ocker and Kiwi accents. Thern they became naturalised when they RTNZ.

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear they were born here.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimW9:
Your chain was being yanked. No female Australian soldiers got to Vietnam. Not even in supposed Non-combat jobs.

Jesus H...where did you dredge that crap from?
Have a read of the book "Minefields and Miniskirts"

Several hundred Australian women served with the Army in a nursing/medical role and almost as many served with the RAAF with 9 Squadron flying Medivac.

Posts: 109 | Location: Jabiru NT | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My apologies, I got it wrong. I saw "soldiers" and failed to make the connection with military nurses, let alone civilian.

" About 210 Australian nurses travelled to South Vietnam between 1964 and 1972 to care for injured civilians during the war."

In any case, calling them "Plata-Pussies' and implying that they regularly got drunk does not sit well.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Why the interest in bar fights from a war we lost 33 years ago ?

You'll also find some of those ex-vietnam nurses (male and female) some of the most rock steady ex-service returnees.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote