New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody know where I can source a replacement trigger for a Rem 700. Either Rem, Rifle Basix, Timney or similar. Looks like trying to import one from the US is no mean feat.

Thanks

Scott

Posts: 39 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
have you tried ProCal trading?

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Peter VanMeurs at Procal Trading in Victoria -
Phone 03-52811380. He has been away shooting but was due to reopen on the 19th (today).

or

John Giles at PSECO in Brisbane -
PSECO

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

have you tried calling the Sydney gunshops? Mick Smith, Safari, Western, Jansa, HPGS (Shudder!!!) might be able to help...

I imported a Timney a couple of years ago for my Ruger, and didn't have any issues at all... things might have changed a bit though... Mad

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to importing firearms from Customs Importing firearms and weapons

Doesn't give much info on parts, except for magazines. I have sent a query to their mailbox before on importing parts and was directed to the above link. May be worthwhile giving them a call.

Pretty sure Brownells will have a trigger for your Rem 700. I have ordered parts from them before (grips, screws, springs). Only thing to keep track of it the US$100 limit on exporting parts. If you go over you have to get a "State Department License". JARD ones are going for US$57, Timney from US$97-134.

Each of my orders have only taken about 7 days to get here. 2 of that can be in Aus Customs whilst they check it out. Most of my packages have been opened and released, with nothing missing.

Feral_Goz

Posts: 56 | Location: Australia NSW | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trigger assemblies are defined as 'firearm parts' in the Oz Customs Prohibited Imports Regs, and hence require a B709A import permit at this end. Best way to find out if you can get one [NSW has some unique rules - e.g. barrels are dealer-only there. Dunno about triggers Confused], is to request it from your State firearms registry.

And the US end probably need a certified copy by mail, before they can apply for the export license,if the order 'gun parts'[US definition - basically any firearm component part whatsoever] total is over USD100. Under that, no worries!

Brownells don't charge much [USD10 extra, above the USD5 export declaration, which applies to all export orders] for the export license, it's just that it takes about 6 weeks to get it. As a comparison, Sinclair, who also have a good range of triggers, charge a minimum USD75 for the license paperwork.

Some Brownells catalogue numbers for Rem 700 triggers [finding them all via their website can be maddening]
Timney: 883-400-270 883-000-005
Rifle Basix: 758-700-001 to -003 , and -005
Shilen: 801-700-100 and -400
Jard: Note that these ones are an upgrade parts kit, not a complete trigger: 100-000-662

I've not listed the ultra light pull target/varmint triggers here, but they have a few flavours.

FWIW, these are the gun bits that require a B709A [Customs (Prohibited Imports) Reg 4F]:
"firearm accessory" means any of the following devices:

(a) a silencer designed or intended for use with a firearm;

(b) a device designed to modify a firearm so as to give it a rapid fire capability;

(c) a device capable of converting a firearm to fire in a fully automatic condition;

(d) a folding stock;

(e) a detachable stock.

"firearm magazine" means a magazine designed or intended for use with a firearm.

"firearm part", for a firearm, means any of the following items:

(a) a gas piston, friction assembly, action bar, breech bolt or breech block;

(b) a firearm barrel;

(c) an assembled trigger mechanism;

(d) a receiver;

(e) something, other than a complete firearm, that includes 1 or more of these items.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents, thanks for all the help.

Scott

Posts: 39 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with your original trigger ? Why not get a spring kit for it ( I have a spare set at present....) and make the one you have better for much less money .
Remington triggers are only crap because of the lawyerisation of the American gun industry meaning factory set triggers @ upto 9lbs let-off thumbdown, adjust the one you have properly and you might find there is nothing wrong with it... Smiler

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote