New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting NZ
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I've just been looking at some NZ guides sites, getting prices and such and WOW some of the prices are quite breath taking. Makes me think I may try to go it alone.

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mate if you want to go in 2005 I'll join you - self-guided that is.

Sika is one of the species that interests me, though anything goes.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Well , I may not have all the answers but I can probably point you in the right direction to find out - assuming you real aussie blokes can ask for help

I dont beleive you need a guide for deer on a free range hunt here , although local knowledge is usefull . Some of the other Kiwi guys might have differing views , but for most North Island hunting a compass and map will be all the help you probably need , for experienced hunters .GPS is nice , but not a necessity . Same for most sub-alpine South Island hunts too I guess . Planning and preparation is the secret.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Muzza, HELP!!!

I've emailed the NZ Deer Association for some info, just waiting to hear a reply.

Nitro
Thinking of 2006. 2005 we are talking of going to Malaysia to show the dirt magnets where I used to live and such. 2006 is a camper van holiday around NZ. The plan is for me to spend another week in the place after the family have gone back.

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Geez mate , I'm not a miracle worker , but I will attempt to "help" you ... Sometimes its best to just walk away , but I'll make an exception for you...

You need to decide where you want to be , what time of the year , how long for , and what you actually want to hunt whilst here . Once you have that framework in place we can work out some sort of a game plan.

Do you want to hunt North Island or South ? Any fishing as well ? Just you or a bunch of bald aussies ? What experience in the bush / alpine conditions ? Bringing your own firearms ? All these questions and more .

Over to you

PS At a pinch I could even offer assistance to the SA vintner , but I wont find him a sheep as travelling companion......our sheep have some standards and wont compromise them just for an aussie....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Hmm lots to think about. I'd say North Island, just me at the moment and I would have about a week, could go to 2 weeks. Sika/Red sounds good. Thinking of april/may? The Rut?

No experience in alpine hunting, unless the blue mountains count

I'll know more when we start planning the trip next year.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

PS At a pinch I could even offer assistance to the SA vintner , but I wont find him a sheep as travelling companion......our sheep have some standards and wont compromise them just for an aussie....

Don't worry I will bring my own travelling chook.

You did read though that Bakes is going to travel around NZ in a campervan. In fact my wife and I talked about doing this in North Island just a week ago having done it in the South Island a few years ago. I want to park it in your driveway just to get your neighbours talking.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sika/Red sounds good. Thinking of april/may? The Rut?

When do Sika rut BTW?

Bakes

For me April and early May is impossible anyway. I still want to try to do something in 2005. But we will keep in touch for 2006.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Sika Rut from early April to mid May , depends on temperature as to exactly when the start is or the duration .

Please , park your camper van in my driveway , I need some target practice... Actually you are truly more than welcome to park there , its totally off the street so no-one will see it , and therefore they wont know...

Come over whenever , I'm sure we can find some deer to chase , even if they are in a five acre pen...

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Muzza, I'm going to try for an exchange in NZ in 2006 for 3 months as well, I'll see how I go.

Nitro
Have PM'd you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gees Bakes, from what I've seen of NZ deer country (on TV of course) having one leg shorter than the other is an advantage. Learning to walk with one knee permanently bent might be one way to go. You can practice on the side of Ooraloo.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of interest, do most people leave the carcass in the field as they do for vermin in Australia, or is venison always saved?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Muzza, I'm going to try for an exchange in NZ in 2006 for 3 months as well

Does NZ have an airforce?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro
Yes,but most of them are over here.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does NZ have an airforce

Technically yes , in practical terms , not really . Our beloved Labour Government trashed the defence capabilities of our Airforce when they laid up our fleet of Skyhawks . Old but still very capable aircraft , ideal for our purposes . We had a Squadron of them based in NSW until they got the chop . Now most of the pilots have been headhunted by the Aussie and Canadian Airforces , amongst others .

My associate Squadron Leader W. Brad Dixon who is in charge of the Airforces IT section ( always get a kick out him being in charge of a squad of computers..) tells me that there are hardly enough pilots left to fly anything now . So much for our defence capabilities. Bloody politicians for ya .

But we still have Airforce Bases , so Bakes and his pound puppy will be able to endlessly patrol silent runways and wish they were out hunting in the highly visible hills and mountains..

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post

Actually Muzza when we exchange we don't do much work at all. Its mostly a jolly Except one year, we send a CPL over there and you guys sent one here. The Kiwi, Matt, used Williamtown RAAF base as a base point and the RAAF flew him all over the country, he had a great time, scuba diving on the reef etc. Our bloke went over there and was put on Shift!! That doesn't happen anymore

At that time you guys had your jets and only 6 dog handlers, without your jets I don't know if you have doggies anymore. I've just been on the RNZAF web site and can't find them.

SOOO if I do make it over, I'll be trying to get a few hunts in. Only problem would be getting my rifle across.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Easier to get your rifle in than your dog mate , Just front up to the Police counter at your point of entry and get a Visitors Firearms Permit and you're away. Might pay to do the formal application through your employers , may make it even easier - or not..

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Not worried about that, worried about what plane I would be taking. If its Civi air I should be alright. If its military than its a no go.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
So freight it over to yourself here , or to some benevolent fool who might ( for a fee ) act as your receiving agent... ( actually I think you would need to ship it to a Dealer here , but that doesnt pose a major problem either )

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the way to go. Now the hard bit is applying for the exchange!