New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bit more exploring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im trying to get myself fit for some big missions this autumn, and also exploring the area looking for some relatively easy red deer hunting. So Google showed me an interesting little mountain that could prove promising for overnight trips and for a start point for some 2 or 3 day trips.
I decided to check it out.
A pretty late start as I wanted to see where I was going, had me at the start of an old logging track at 6 am. I followed that too its end and then started going straight up.I thought id picked the most logical route, but Too my surprise I didnt see any sign of others climbing that way except for some old forest service or survey marker I randomly came across. Anyway I climbed just under 800 meters in 2.5 hours and reached the alpine level at about 830 am. It was thinking hot, and no deer about but id seen fresh sign all the way which was promising.
I had a scout about noting the spots of promise, where there was water etc for future then headed home. I found the track I knew someone must have on the way back. A very lightly marked trail that someone didnt want others to find. It was about 50 meters from where I went up.
Anyway a few picks of the country.

Posts: 4293 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking country Shanks. Could put some time into walking and glassing that.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2028 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah. its a low open ridge with heaps of clearings that kind of stretches from the murchison/ Grey mouth highway, across too the lewis pass. I now know how to get onto it and can see myself doing a few days across it in the roar and getting picked up from the Lewis pass.

Posts: 4293 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Big country! Looks interesting.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote