New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saving stranded Whales
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
What do you guys think about saving these things when they wash up?

Is it a waste of resourses?

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Untill mother nature gives up the secret of why they beach themselves we are wasting our precious time!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whale bones are not designed to support their huge weights.
Once they are on the sand they are stuffed,even if you get them back out to deeper water they will most likely have fatal internal injuries.

Night shift again?

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Gday fellas your up late!
I've got the day off, but after 10 years of shift work my sleep pattens are a little off

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you've got a head like this no use going to bed early.The missus won't come near me.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nah, its not a waste mate. It keeps the Greenies and mungbeans occupied and lets the rest get on with the serious hunting in peace.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why dont we make the most of it and use it as a good time to run bullet penetration tests. WE can line up next to it with our big bores and try out different solids, monometals ,soft noses ,try different velocities or even have a comp to see if anyone has a bullet/caliber combination which will exit.
Do you think the greenies will mind as we use freewilly for scientific experiments like this??????

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
I remember a few years ago 2 whales went upstream in a northern NSW river and the media stirred things up and was calling for volunteers to help turn them around and back to sea . A large crowd was on the riverbank watching the whales when a female tv reporter was asking people what they thought and she got the usual "its fantastic that we can help the whales " and "the whales will love us for this" but she asked this old bloke up the back (probably in his 80's) had he seen anything like this before and he said "Oh yes maybe 40 years ago we would get 1 or 2 come up here and word would go out and we would get our 'three ohs' (.303 smle) and shoot the buggars for dog meat , cow of a job dragging them out of the water though , had no winchs just ropes by hand" The reporter nearly dropped the microphone and some teenage boys on hearing this were saying "oh cool! my dads got a 303!" The camera went elsewhere very quickly. My opinion just leave them alone (dog meat is ok!). What irks me is you can get thousands of do gooders wanting to help the whales but same people won't help a pensioner say mow his lawn or help delivering meals on wheels. Society is sick.
RLI

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What irks me is you can get thousands of do gooders wanting to help the whales but same people won't help a pensioner say mow his lawn or help delivering meals on wheels. Society is sick.
RLI

A good post & very, very, very, fucken true

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Very true RLI, I remember helping an old bloke with his bags at central station once, while some school kids laughed at him.

one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
I have a .470NE double rifle shooting a stranded whale with this rifle would be quite ethical but I would need a ladder to climb to the top for the mandatory photos.
RLI

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Time for a beach BBQ in my opinion. Get the knives out.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Mate , I have a specimen of the New Zealand Department of Conservation official Whale Despatching calibre cartridge . The gun is basically a barrel with a handle and trigger , the cartridge is a modified 20mm anti-tank round . This was developed by a mate who worked for the armaments company that load the ammo .Its been tested on everything from porpoises to sperm whales and they all die as a consequence , always ( so far ) one shot kills .

Trying to refloat whales is mostly a waste of time , occassionally we get pods of over a hundred Pilot Whales beach themselves and invariably they are in inaccessable places , or when the greenies and do-gooders do manage to get five of them refloated they swim off up the shoreline and beach again . I suspect whales are as stupid as the people who think they can save them .
Whales have been running ashore forever , and will continue to do so forever more . best you can do is humanely despatch them then dig a furking big hole and bury them .

The old guy was right about the .303 rifle - pre the current whale cartridge the approved calibre was .303 in the Mk6 215 grain solid loading , and lots of them.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
as long as the bloody greenies waste thier own money and their own time on it, i rekon let em, less time that they are on our backs and less of their fuck thieved money to spend on their fucked election campaigns and any other of their save the forest, or stop the mining crap that they waste their money on.

cheers

Posts: 5 | Location: Sydney, Aust | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well there you go. Always something interesting from you Muzza.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the greenies are so concerned with the saving of these whales, and the state of the country and environment in general, then why don't they kill 2 birds with the one stone. They could refloat the whales, send them out to sea, strapping them with refugee's (illegals) as ballist, this would clear up the countries debt and landscape?

just my thoughts .

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Whales have been running ashore forever , and will continue to do so forever more . best you can do is humanely despatch them then dig a furking big hole and bury them .

What a bloody waste!

Seriously if early hunter gatherer man had a pod of whales beach themselves near his camp he would have thought all his Christmas's had come at once. Food for a month if it would have kept. At least a great feast.

Now as we have developed all we (well not "we" but brainless emotional urgan greenie idiots) can do is waste our resources trying to push them back out, keep them wet and when - as always - it all fails, bury all that useful blubber and whale meat.

What a total waste!

Humankind I mean.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Whales are a Protected Species ( as should be working, middle class, middle aged gun owners) and therefore you are not allowed to do anything with them . Even touching them is illegal , unless of course , you can claim some zillionth percent indigenous blood , and then you can make a lawful claim on the whale as your historical right .
It always seems ridiculous that we bury all that useable meat , and the bones are sought after by the bonecarving people . Even if the meat went to the petfood industry , at least it wouldnt be wasted . But then the Japanese would be importing our petfood and selling it in their restaurants....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a program on T.V about this some time ago ,which was interesting .Apparently at a certain ocean depth sound travels alot more efficiently than any other depth ,which was a military secret as submarines used it for communicating worldwide .The dumb whales already knew about this and were using it also ,but were not telling the public either.But sub commmunications interfere with whale migratory patterns ,communications whatever ,so were beaching themselves instead .One Captain of a submarine came across as saying a few dead whales was acceptable in the interests of world wide secuity.

Posts: 148 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Whales are a Protected Species

Whales are meat. Nothing special about them at all, just like any other species. They should be harvested in a sustainable manner. What better place than when they commit suicide on beaches.

kos

Good post. Perhaps a reason for beaching.

one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
I remember a old oil painting of early Sydney in it was a beached whale and about 30 Aborigines and convicts climbing all over it and in the background a convict transport ship but the whale was being cut up for meat ! I think people today think people have always pushed the whales back to the open ocean . I think it would be a time of rejoicing at all that meat and little effort to get it.
RLI