Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Ass Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted
Quality Trophy Bull Squared up eye ballin' me at 40 yards.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
There's a critter with an attitude.
All things being the same where would a fella shoot this big boy?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
It looks a "flehmen response" to me. He didn't have a sniff of your nether regions did he? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great photos!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
These critters live not far from home on Aboriginal territories in Arhnemland,Northern Australia

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Hey Scriptus, the old Nether region cops a case of sloppy crack in the heat up here, so l guess he was onto something?

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
There's a critter with an attitude.
All things being the same where would a fella shoot this big boy?

Jim

Right in the wishbone. When their head is held that high the head shot is iffy because of the teeth. Teeth will grind up good bullets.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pix and some superb bulls. Thanks for sharing.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
very nice photos .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures.
Was thinking it'd be mighty tough to hit the brain in that position. And Jack says: "just stick it under an ear", gotta get him to come take a good look at these views. Flat told him he was full of --it!

That one in the cooler would be a good one to brain IF you were gonna leave him for croc bait. Would be a bit messy trying to get him out of the muck. Those eye's sure remind me of a couple wild eye'd women I've faced recently! Re: intense with attitude!

Dogleg: Top of brisket, or thru it?

Thanks for the great views. Supposed to go pick up and shoot my new rifle day after tomorrow. Sure been getting anxious, he's only been working toward it since Mid Dec. With less than ten days til back surgery I was getting a bit testy about it.

Thanks much for this posting.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5955 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Hey George, how was your trip out at Murwangi? Did you get to ride in my culling truck l sold to Tony?

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Arkypete - You can see here how low the heart is located in the engine room, l believe the Cape Buff to be very similar in it's anatomy. Many people make the obvious mistake of high shot placement.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
This Bull l took at 30yards with a 700gr arrow front on.
The arrow penetrated deep at the top of Brisket / bottom of throat. He bled well but disappointingly ran 300 hundred meters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dogleg: Top of brisket, or thru it?

The main thing is to center-punch it, the spine takes a big dip down the bullet will run into it. A little lower like on that single white hair will mess up the top of his pump. Get sloppy and you'll slip it between the shoulder and the ribs and not make the cavity. That won't end well. I like frontals, do it right and the buff is both dead and down instead of leaving you wondering what in the hell is holding him up. The brain is a little dicey when the head is that high, but if you're feeling lucky the end of the nose on the top pic would work.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
It's all good advise Dogleg.
Front on shots with Water Buffalo are encountered at a high percentage, l guess if l had horns and that kind of mass l wouldn't hesitate to deal with problems head on?
Under the ear if possible is another preferred point of kill, not for me personally but l seen it done numerous times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sforbsy:
Hey George, how was your trip out at Murwangi? Did you get to ride in my culling truck l sold to Tony?

A bit of a long shot, but it wouldn't be Tony Merkel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sforsby:
You've got us mixed up a bit.
I've not been over there yet. Am hoping to, but, health problems need to be sorted out first.

Mike/dogleg may be the guy you're really asking.

Thanks guys, no harm done on this end. Sure do appreciate the info/experienced advice is always preferable to guessing without it. Especially for those of us that haven't played that particular game yet.

I shot a bull elk one Aug with a .22 under the ear when I was a kid. The image I still have is of his head hitting him in the ass before he crashed n never twitched. I'd gone out after a sack full of pine squirrels we'd seen the day before while cutting firewood. Old rancher just about filled his drawers when I dumped about 30 bushy tails on the table and out came the back straps.
The things we've done as kids huh?

Damned effective shot IF you can make it and they hold still long enough. Otherwise it's a messy doings.

BY the way, that's one hell of a bull, especially with a pointed stick! Congrats mate, how long was the shot?

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5955 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
nice buff

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
That first buff looks kinda hillbilly Wink rotflmo

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7990 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's all good advise Dogleg.
Front on shots with Water Buffalo are encountered at a high percentage, l guess if l had horns and that kind of mass l wouldn't hesitate to deal with problems head on?
Under the ear if possible is another preferred point of kill, not for me personally but l seen it done numerous times.

I've done the base of the ear, between the ear and the eyeball, and just under the base of the horn. All ways of mapping out the brain location and on side shots the buff get shut off like a light. In my case a lot of those shots were finishers.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
My bad George, got me wires crossed and yes the .22 are capable of some pretty mysterious results. A rear shot to back section of skull cap on deer and probably most animals is certainly a weak point as l too have dropped red deer on the farm with this shot using a .22 sub sonic bullets. Gotta laugh at the super size me squirrel fillets, haha.
The Buff was taken at 30yards, actually called it in with a cow call from over 80yards away.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike/Dogleg l was thinking too hard there, my apologies. It is kinda impressive seeing a large beast shut down from a brain assault within a few paces and all of 800kg hit the deck.
Yes, l was referring too Tony Merkel at Murwangi. How did you fair with the cull? Did you enjoy the Arafura swamplands?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Mike/Dogleg l was thinking too hard there, my apologies. It is kinda impressive seeing a large beast shut down from a brain assault within a few paces and all of 800kg hit the deck.
Yes, l was referring too Tony Merkel at Murwangi. How did you fair with the cull? Did you enjoy the Arafura swamplands?

I was with him when he picked up the truck. I did quite well on the cull, 111 buffalo and 26 pigs. 2 feral cats, if they count. I figure they should since I shot 'em with the .458. Big Grin

It was a good time, I've got my dates reserved if the hunt is repeated next year.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a blast! thats a serious kill rate, you doubled the bag of most other hunters who get out there. Great job well done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As often as he goes, he should have things figured out by now.

Glad you got it unwired. NBD on my end for sure. Hey, met the gunsmith one week at his place. Then again just a week later in the head of a hospital n didn't recognize him. One of my glitches. While on the route I kept notes of who was where. IF they'd show up at some other place I had no clues who they were. All good customers too. Worst part was I was still young then!! Now I can blame it on old age creapers.

Gonna start a fresh one, got that new rifle today.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like you had a blast! thats a serious kill rate, you doubled the bag of most other hunters who get out there. Great job well done.

Since my mission is/was to have fun it likely means that I had double the fun as average. I know my funometer was redlined much of the time. Coming directly after a 253 animal feral cull; it was getting a little surreal.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, 400 plus critters...now that's what l call Felling ferals.
Here's a Bad Ass Cow from Dog Mountain with Your ole mate Johnny Pascoe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnny is looking pretty good for a dead guy.Leslie came along some days.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Ah yeah l nearly forgot about that story, haha....dead man walking alright, None the less, Johnny needs to see to that shocking chest infection and get that kennel cough sorted...poor Bugger

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of a Central Arhnem Buff taken with a 30.06 ....didn't exactly cut the Mustard, l was under a notion it was the perfect all round gun, wasn't thinkin too hard at all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do come up a little short. I'm more in the biggest thing you can shoot camp than the smallest thing that you can get by with school of thought. My son shot a buffalo with his 30-06 last year, that wasn't overly impressive. Good for the feral stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another one of Johnnie.

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Looks like a traffic jam, did you manage to have them bed down on each other like that without getting your hands dirty? Have you managed a Banteng hunt yet?

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Btw...in saying all this, whats your thoughts on an ideal Buffalo rifle & factory round for the weekend Buff hunter? I am in the market for something and very much undecided.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like a traffic jam, did you manage to have them bed down on each other like that without getting your hands dirty? Have you managed a Banteng hunt yet?

I did that Crocodile Dundee move and hypnotized them, but used both hands at once. This stuff really works! Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Gqjf6E_Cc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Btw...in saying all this, whats your thoughts on an ideal Buffalo rifle & factory round for the weekend Buff hunter? I am in the market for something and very much undecided.

I'd just get a Winchester Safari Express in .375 and go hunting if I were you. For myself, although I have a M70 in .375 I use the same thing in .458. Its currently being converted into a 10 shot culling machine.

The 350 Grain TSX does a surprisingly good job at killing like a .458 while kicking like a .375.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Classic scene from a classic movie, that Buff is Mounted at Adelaide River Pub, you may have stopped there?
WSE .375 is good compromise, was tossing that up against a .338 I had mates down south for many years use .375 on Samber deer.
The new mag looks like serious business, are you planning to bring with you next time? may need to check if N.T Police will permit that.
I must say the grass looks green in that pic, l ain't seen grass like that for a while.