Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NZ Hunting regulations
 Login/Join

posted
With all the discussion going on around the trip and post by Kudude I thought it a good time to try to clear up misunderstandings about our hunting regulations in New Zealand.

First off anybody here can call themselves a hunting guide. Do your homework on who you will be employing. Join a local (NZ) hunting forum for helpful advice. You will find the locals only to willing to help with advice/comments/recomendations. You may even get the offer of being taken out for little or no cost, just share the expenses. Kiwi hunters enjoy sharing their country with like minded folk. We have many very experienced guys who enjoy this sort of activity and are great hunters. We also have great and ethical hunting guides. This is the real New Zealand.

We have hunting seasons for certain game and not for others. We also have completely protected species.

Seasons apply to wingshooting for ducks, geese, swan, pheasant etc. Differing season lengths in different parts of the country apply. Daily bag limits apply. If you want to shoot birds ask your guide if the season is open in your area.

You will require a shooting license as well as an access permit on all public land to wingshoot, You may need a license to shoot on private land. I say "may" because I am unsure whether for visiting hunters only a guides license may cover you but I don't think so. Same for access permits. Don't assume it is OK just because someone told you.

EDIT - Note the comment from Tussock. I wasn't aware of this but shooting with a guide for ducks etc is illegal. I take this to mean that if the person with you is being paid for guiding services you are breaking the law.
END OF EDIT

Small game such as rabbit, Hare, possum can be shot all year round, no licence, but you will require an access permit for public land. Ask your guide where you will be shooting.

For big game hunting lets clear up the helicopter/aircraft thing.
Forget about a WARO concession (wild animal recovery operation) it does not apply to you. WARO is for commercial meat hunting or government culling only. i.e. only the employees of the concessionaire take part in this operation. (By the way we in the NZ hunting fraternity dislike WARO immensely. It ruins our and your hunting.)
You cannot even have a loaded weapon in any vehicle in NZ including aircraft let alone shoot from it. If your guide tells you he has a concession for this activity he is not being truthful.

On public land there are designated landing sites which apply. these are the only places that an aircraft may land to pickup passengers or game. Usually they are close to a hut or campsite hence their designation as a landing site.

You can be dropped into these sites by aircraft and then must hunt on foot, with no assistance from the aircraft and pack your game back to these sites for pickup if you want to keep it.

The ONLY exception to this is a landing for SAR (search and rescue) or emergency purposes. (A large heavy animal does not constitute an emergency.)

The upside is that there are no fees to take animals on public land. Access permits are readily available and free. Trophy fees are not payable. (Your guide might have other ideas on this score.)

For private land hunting the rules are set by the landowner. But I don't believe that you can hunt from the air or from a vehicle as the law regarding a loaded weapon still applies. But on private land you can be placed as close to the game or wherever you wish.

Edit. Loaded weapon means any firearm which is capable of being fired. Unloaded means a firearm which has the bolt removed and carried separately. Ammunition must also be carried separately.

Hope this clears up a few things. Anyone who wishes to elaborate on the above feel free.

NZ-Hunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good on you NZ-Hunter to get the rules stated in the context of a less argumentative thread. It probably stands the better chance of being spotted here.

A while back, some of the "older" NZ AR members (was it Top-Predator??) worked on a project to put together a post with information for the potential foreign visitor to NZ. I believe the idea was to "pin" that post, so it stayed on top of the NZ forum. I have a feeling that project may have died because of lack of input??

This information would be perfect for such a "pinned" post, IMHO.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So how do I go about requesting that it be "pinned"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask the Moderator - Bakes, I think it is?

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Yes,its an on going project killpc been busy out hunting

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Join a local (NZ) hunting forum for helpful advice. You will find the locals only to willing to help with advice/comments/recomendations.

So, nz-hunter any links to these?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yep, Here's one for you.

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/

posted Hide Post
Thanks NZ-Hunter, nice going.
Here is the NZ Fishing & Hunting Forum (you will see quite a few familiar names).
Members of the Forum often assist visiting hunters who want to experience hunting in NZ the way the locals do it Smiler

Posts: 22 | Location: Canterbury, New Zealand | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting information, thanks a lot.

I very much hope that one day when my boy has grown a little we'll be able to go to your nice country for a dad&son alpine hunting and fishing adventure.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have to add, paid shooting for ducks etc is illegal in NZ. A guide cannot legally take people duck shooting. This, as with the helicopter operations, does not stop them.

Posts: 13 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tussock:
I have to add, paid shooting for ducks etc is illegal in NZ. A guide cannot legally take people duck shooting. This, as with the helicopter operations, does not stop them.

How does it work if the "guide" or outfitter 'arranges' the hunt, eg accommodation, vehicles, catering etc and goes along with the shoot?

I see quite a few adverts for this sort of thing in NZ but wasn't aware "guiding" is not permitted.

Also does that restriction apply to private property?

Thanks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see those companies advertising as well. Just do a search and a number will turn up.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another convoluted NZ regulation. Personally I would have no problem with it.
There are private lands and public lands and provided the rules pertaining to game bird hunting are observed I see nothing wrong with retaining the services of a guide.
Same for trout fishing ,although why anybody needs a guide here for that beats me,and behaviour by some of our fishing guides has attracted some hefty critisism here in New Zealand.

Posts: 43 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 19 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hunting by guides in my region is very unpopular. The reason is that more and more of the bird shooting in the area is being taken up by paying customers. Its getting hard to get at flights of geese or parries because a local guide pays all the farmers to take his clients there. Fair enough, but illegal none the less.

Its possible for them to get away with it because our fish and game department (covers game birds and fish) dont do ver mush of anything bar bump up the price of a license and inforce annoying restrictions. For this reason I have boycotted buying a license for two years now. Our local ranger is also one of the main guides, our license fee pay for his fuel.

I think if you look in the small print, you will be paying an exorbitant rate for a bed and breakfast with "optional" shooting.

Posts: 13 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tussock

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of the illegality of guided duck shooting etc. I have put an amendment in the original post

posted Hide Post
Guys I think someone needs to clarify the "Trophy Fees" thing. I think that in no way can you charge a fee for any individual feral animal unless it is the property of someone. Now in order for a feral animal to be considered to be "owned" it must be marked in such a way that it can be identified by the owner and must be contained, ie within a fence. If this has not happened then its a wild animal and property of the "Crown" or the NZ people and can not be "sold". Please correct me if im wrong. I think guides get round this by charging for access, accomadation, time etc...

You may want to note that there is no such thing as Tahr or Chamios farming in NZ, therefore technically I dont think you can charge Trophy fees for them...

RE:Wing Birds and Trout, I think a similar situation applies but rather you have to pay a fee to Fish and Game, who despite what Tussock says, do a bloody good job of managing animal populations on behalf of all NZ trout fishers andbird shooters. As such again they are "property" of Kiwis as a whole and are managed on behalf by F&G, therfore you can not be charged "Trophy Fees"...

Please guys correct me if Im wrong...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildman:
You may want to note that there is no such thing as Tahr or Chamios farming in NZ, therefore technically I dont think you can charge Trophy fees for them.

Please guys correct me if Im wrong...

There is a small amount of breeding that goes on simply because there is both bulls and nannies behind the wire.

I just rung fish and game, it is legal to be guided for game bird's, it is NOT legal to buy hunting rights to land for gamebird hunting.
There is however a law change coming for fresh water game fishing where by the guide must have a special 'guides' licence, this is meant to come in in the next 18 months or so. The client MUST have their own fishing licence.

On heli fishing, I believe if it is done on DoC land the same rules apply as for hunting, ie: Using designated landing area's, in other words it's NOT ok to just land anywhere when on DoC land.

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting by guides in my region is very unpopular. The reason is that more and more of the bird shooting in the area is being taken up by paying customers. Its getting hard to get at flights of geese or parries because a local guide pays all the farmers to take his clients there. Fair enough, but illegal none the less.

Isn't this the main complaint? That your home duck shooters are loosing private land access? Or should I say "free access"?

ie can't you try to buy the same "wholesale rate" the outfitter is paying for access?

I can sympathize with your feelings though.

Is there no public duck shooting areas to visit?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MADNESS
posted Hide Post
there is plenty of tidle bird shooting to be had in the upper North island with large numbers of birds

not sure if its the same down south

Posts: 159 | Location: NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 03 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we need to clarify the situation with landings on the public estate. As far as I am aware, by my reading of the Fiordland National Park Management Plan for example, designated landing areas only count in special areas such as wilderness zones such as the Glaisnock and Pembroke in Fiordland. The helicopter company has to have a concession to operate for recreational purposes in the national park but outside these special interest areas its ok to drop off punters if disturbance to other users is minimised. Different parts of the parks also have set levels of activity, for example, particular catchments have a set number of landings by concession holders per week etc. There is no blanket ban on landing on the public estate and large areas of FNP have no limits on landings at all. Each National park has its own management plan but I would assume it is similar elsewhere.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
quote:

Isn't this the main complaint? That your home duck shooters are loosing private land access? Or should I say "free access"?

ie can't you try to buy the same "wholesale rate" the outfitter is paying for access?

I can sympathize with your feelings though.

Is there no public duck shooting areas to visit?

It is illegal to buy or sell hunting right's for gamebird or fish, period.

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loosecat:
I think we need to clarify the situation with landings on the public estate. As far as I am aware, by my reading of the Fiordland National Park Management Plan for example, designated landing areas only count in special areas such as wilderness zones such as the Glaisnock and Pembroke in Fiordland. The helicopter company has to have a concession to operate for recreational purposes in the national park but outside these special interest areas its ok to drop off punters if disturbance to other users is minimised. Different parts of the parks also have set levels of activity, for example, particular catchments have a set number of landings by concession holders per week etc. There is no blanket ban on landing on the public estate and large areas of FNP have no limits on landings at all. Each National park has its own management plan but I would assume it is similar elsewhere.

Not quite accurate: landing areas are nominated in each operators concession. Those are the landing areas period these sites have a ceiling of so many landings a year some only 5 some 900 it depends on the site. Flying below a certain altitude or landing just any old where is a breach of the concession and illegal.

Wilderness areas are off limits for any landings except balloted hunts and animal control.

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its been nice to see this thread develope into something positive & constructive. Its obviously an area where there are many shortcomings in legislation & enforcement. Although many Kiwi hunters now seem to have got the idea of preserving something to come back to & managing a resource, it doesn't seem like so long it wasn't unknown for hunting parties to "bomb up" an area with little thought as to sustainable use. Having grown up reading overseas mags as well as local ones I liked to think I was well versed in this ethos & can well remember 20 plus years ago the outrage , both personal & communal at the news a party had "bombed up" the chamois in Cupola Basin in the Nelson Lakes Park. Guess who had a hunt planned for there just after. Mad Even more pi55ed off to find prominent local NZDA members involved. I guess we were still getting over the deer culler years. Its heartening to read how attitudes have moved on & I salute fellow Kiwis whose experience & skill far outweighs mine.
Weathered, although I was critical of you in an earlier post in this thread, I'm pleased you didn't bugger off & stayed to share you knowledge & commitment, my apologies for my haste. I admire your "passion"
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good string for the locals, I am sure going to keep my nose out. Good luck in resolving your problems, not ragging just sincere good wishs. Cheers.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shinzo:
Weathered, although I was critical of you in an earlier post in this thread, I'm pleased you didn't bugger off & stayed to share you knowledge & commitment, my apologies for my haste. I admire your "passion"
Steve

Its all good, If I hired my teams on personality I would have to fire myself first Roll Eyes

I will put up my next tahr hunt here

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plot thickens - Weathered you are quite correct. Having just been on the blower to DOC it turns out that within Fiordland National Park there are some helicopter companies operating under old concessions from the pre 2007 management plan which have not been renewed. These operators can presently land anywhere in within non restricted areas under the system I have described - but once their permit is renewed they will have to operate under a nominated landing area system. He was also very clear that each national park has its own set of rules within their plan, and some could/would be still operating within a non-nominating structure.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADNESS:
there is plenty of tidle bird shooting to be had in the upper North island with large numbers of birds

not sure if its the same down south

Plenty of bird shooting around the Waikato as madness says.

MADNESS.. Off topic but please come back to the (Not to be mentioned) forum bro, I think you will find things have settled down quite a lot. We need the input from moderators/forum guides such as yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weathered:
quote:
Originally posted by Shinzo:
Steve

Its all good, If I hired my teams on personality I would have to fire myself first Roll Eyes

I will put up my next tahr hunt here

I'll look forward to it Weathered.
I just realised that last post of mine was 'sposed to be over in "that other thread", duh!, too many tabs open (firefox, not speights Smiler ) Bugger, too late now, can't be arsed to shift it. Frowner
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NZ game laws were specifically designed to avoid there being any financial involvement in hunting. Settlers from countries were it was a "rich mans sport" wanted hunting to be for everyone. This should never change.

One of Us
Picture of MADNESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nz-hunter:MADNESS.. Off topic but please come back to the (Not to be mentioned) forum bro, I think you will find things have settled down quite a lot. We need the input from moderators/forum guides such as yourself.

its been some time since i was last on there but from what i have heard its very much the same as it was

its a shame really it was such a good place to hang out

Posts: 159 | Location: NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 03 June 2006Reply With Quote