Find
Notify
Tools

Casual Hunting ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
So , what do you all hunt on a casual or non serious basis . I ask because there hasnt been much hunting on here lately , and I had the opportunity to snipe three magpies with the .22 rimfire this afternoon - remind me to poke the barrel muzzle right out the bathroom window next time , the ears are still a little tender , and the wife still isnt speaking . A small price to pay , I say .....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a casual basis nothing from the bathroom window, although the two kids on trail bikes that occasionally ride in the paddock behind our house could be a good start.

I usually go after pigs in and around South West Queensland, and the odd trip after goats.

My shooting partner (her who must obeyed) tries for rabbits who usually die of fright rather than than a mortal wound

Frank

Posts: 53 | Location: Bundaberg,Queensland , Australia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been busy killing turkeys in two states and one Canadian province, which is HARDLY casual, but rather very serious business to turkey hunting addicts like myself....

HOWEVER I took time out yesterday to shoot a pesky pigeon in my barn with my .177 air rifle....The pigeons CRAP all over everything , so they are NOT a welcome guest.... I also ventilated a coyote while turkey hunting in Ontario a couple of weeks ago.....My host hates them and had given me instructions to shoot every one I saw...

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Only one way to hunt turkeys! Sharps 45/90 of course (must be awfull tough bastards though)

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAW.... .... .... ....

Unless it was head shots only it might be kind of ROUGH on the EATIN' MEAT....

Seriously, though, in many states, including the ones I hunt, rifles are not permitted for spring turkey hunting...In New York, one must use a shotgun no larger than 10 gauge with shot no larger than #2 and no smaller than #8... The object is to call the bird in CLOSE and kill it with a dense cloud of small shot directed at the head and neck...

Some states do allow the use of rifles, mostly the western states, but with a few exceptions...Most rifle hunters prefer small caliber cartridges with moderate velocity, such as the .22 magnum or .22 hornet, to avoid ruining too much meat...The high velocity centerfires tend to be very destructive of the prime breast meat..head shots with a rifle are very difficult, because the bird's head presents a fairly small target and is always moving...

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote