New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well...who's been killing what?
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Not much happening here at the moment. The olny thing I've been killing is BLOODY MICE Mad Little buggers are everywhere.

Got my licence squared away and I'm taking the fablous Baker boys out next weekend to sight in their .22s. After that I may hit a property I have access to and look for some pigs that have been causing a problem.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Very nice mate. Here's a question for you. What other feral animals do you see when your chasing Sambar?

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
You know Bakesy I have never seen a pig before but the occasional dog/dingo pops up depending where you are hunting and thats about that...well I do know a spot with goats in it too but I dont even look at those bastards.

native wild life and non ferals as in rabbits and foxes are often seen in some joints...never a pig though until this runt showed his snout.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I would of thought that pigs would be more common in the hills, they're adaptable, cunning and such. Go figure.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
the dogs (where they are) would have every one of them mate.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Really? I did come across a dingo mum teaching her pup's how to hunt once in Katherine. They had a half grown pig bailed up and mum was standing back and watching. I was with the station owner and he told me to "get em" I managed two pups and the pig. Missed mum Roll Eyes (this was when it was legal to shoot dingoes)

posted Hide Post
Got onto some goats the other week around the QLD granite belt. was a hell of a shot as inadvertently sat on a green ants nest. Well I took the shot and jumped up running around like an idiot with my wife giving me a stupid look. Heading out next month to get some venison. should be good this year, heaps of grass around.

Posts: 10 | Location: australia | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Managed to get into the pigs a bit lately myself. Wink

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a few goats lately. However, I am only shooting them so that my wife can turn them into her delicious curries, so I am mostly shooting younger nannies and haven't been worrying about photos. Might take a couple of pics next trip.

My partner in crime, on these goat hunts, did see a 40" + billy, recently, so might have to put in some effort to see if we can put him on the wall.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil !

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Not much happening here at the moment. The olny thing I've been killing is BLOODY MICE Mad Little buggers are everywhere.

Got my licence squared away and I'm taking the fablous Baker boys out next weekend to sight in their .22s. After that I may hit a property I have access to and look for some pigs that have been causing a problem.

Hehehe.. i feel your pain... two foxes in 12 months is about all I can boast about... (no pics, they were targets of opportunity).

Usual story... no time but making money, followed by plenty of time but no money.

However that may change soon... certain events in my ex's family dynamics may see me getting access to the property I sold them when I divorced my ex... my place adjoined theirs, and the combined size is 160,000 acres.

It'll be really good to get out there again... it won't be until later in the year, but stay tuned - I may be able to repay a great favour you did me a while ago.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah heard about that on AHN. Good to hear they've come around mate. Have you come up to see Dick latley?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah heard about that on AHN. Good to hear they've come around mate. Have you come up to see Dick latley?

Nah.. haven't seen Dick for ages.. must call him and see he's getting on.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Myself and a few of the lads did some goat culling for a sheep and beef farmer a few weeks back - six of us accounted for the best part of 300 goats in a day and a half on pretty steep hill country .

Not really hunting , just killing en masse, but a necessary procedure in this case.

I guess ol Gryph is right - I am a goat hunter

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not really hunting , just killing en masse, but a necessary procedure in this case.

Got to keep the property owners happy Muzza. 300 goats is not a bad effort, that would've filled the dog food freezer up!

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Last time I was at Dicks place (March) I was a bit depressed to see more houses being built along his access road Frowner Sign of the times I suppose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't surprise me (although it disappoints me) given his proximity to his nearest town... not a commute I'd be prepared to do on a day to day basis, but it seems there are plenty of people who are... and the second biggest CBD is not all that far away... I guess it's 'manageable'.

Hey, next time you're down this way, let me know.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Will do.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:

I guess ol Gryph is right - I am a goat hunter

Try goat shooter,hunting is another world away from shooting.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The thread is about who has been killing what - we have been killing goats in the name of pest control.

Some of that killing involved serious hunting - if you have ever hunted goats on their turf in this stype of country you might have a different opinion , my friend.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
as you would well understand old friend,banging up 300 goats in any sort of country is simply that...banging up! whereas hunting is,well i dont have to tell you the difference now do i?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Do you think you will ever let it go Gryph ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gryph, I'm not pissing in muzza's pocket, but he already said it's "Not really hunting, but killing en mass... "

After all, the thread title is "who's been killing what?", not 'who's been hunting what?'

Likewise my two foxes... didn't 'hunt' them as such, they were targets of opportunity that got nailed while checking paddocks.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
"I guess ol Gryph is right - I am a goat hunter"

Well he did say the above

I fully understand all of what you say...its a personal thing from the lame effort of someone including me in one of their jokes and then they have the front to ask.

Do you think you will ever let it go Gryph ?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
For those who are interested , heres the history

gryphon 1 posted one of those usual kiwi jokes that everyone has heard a hundred times , I posted a joke in response that named gryphon 1 as one of the two characters in the story , gryphon 1 got miffed at the fact that someone had dared to post a joke with his name in it , then the language and personal attacks towards myself went down hill from there to the stage that Bakes pulled the entire thread , as a moderator can.

And now - here we are at this point in time with the whole process starting again.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
So lets keep it civil gents.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Oh woe is me! oh I have done no wrong have I now....oh its all gryphons fault,he is such a horrible fella isnt he.

Go through every thread ace and you will see that its your mouthy attitude that starts the ball rolling every time.

Funny that you 'dared' to use my name in a joke eh! You only had several thousand other names to choose from you yet you HAD to choose mine...incidental? Dont think so!

Language? personal attacks? show me and the rest of the mob here,no good trying to sling crap when you have no ammo to throw sport....and ffs save the violin screeching.

And when I`m bitten I bite back just remember that esteemed goat shooter

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Actually gryph - you started it and then got shitty when someone posted a joke back. The fact that it was me obviously didnt help since I seem to be on your hate list for having the balls to stand up to you and your buddies by having an opinion that was different to yours.

Anyone who sends me a private message that starts with " listen up you kiwi c*nt" and then goes down hill from there with the foulest language and personal insults that anyone has ever thrown at me because I dared to stand my ground and have an opinion that you and your buddy from South Australia didnt like is quite frankly , not worth shit , and that is exactly my opinion of you .

Not once on this forum have I ever - read that again - not once , have I ever denigrated your hunting , made disparaging remarks about any photo posted by your , nor have I ever hidden behind a camo face mask when I eventually got round to posting a picture of an animal I have shot.Do you understand that ?

Gryphon 1 , you are without doubt the most ignorant foul mouthed asshole I have ever encountered on the net , on the various forums I belong to - not even the political forum on here holds a candle to your bigotted egotistical rantings and bullying behaviour towards people who dare to stand up to you .

I have no more to say on this subject , save that you get the honour of being the first person in my time on AR that I have put on my ignore list. Go F*ck yourself.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Quote muzzle him please!

foul mouthed asshole

Go F*ck yourself.

not worth shit , and that is exactly my opinion of you . End miserables quote.

Connotations of the pot calling the kettle black?

The real truth hurt you didnt it ace .
BYE!

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
nor have I ever hidden behind a camo face mask when I eventually got round to posting a picture of an animal I have shot.Do you understand that ?

Ha I re read your trite little essay and I couldnt resist answering this bit...has it ever occurred to you that you have no need of a face mask with the ferals you try and shoot.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well it was worth a shot. killpc Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
You know Bakesy that civility in this little matter just wont ever happen when the self confessed 'grudgeman' keeps carrying his burden into the forum....citing purported contents of a PM from three years ago...my he is aggrieved... And to the Sth Aus connection i cannot for the life of me grasp whatsoever of its meaning, I do not have the faintest idea to whom he is talking about....not the ferkin faintest!

Now I could just about bet that if you go back through three years of posts that any of the crap that grudgeman is citing as an example of is not apparent except maybe in his own grey matter.
Like put up or shut up and here I was under the impression that anything from the past was well resolved (i thought...he didnt)

I still cant believe his veiled (no pun haha) reference to me wearing a hunting face mask haha...thats funny that,maybe he would rather see my face than the stags?
And then he asks do you understand that? No,but I`m sorry if I broke some world wide internet rule of wearing a hunting face mask...hey its not a ferkin bank that I hunt deer in cobber!

Psst Muzza I know you are peeking so come back,I dont have any problems with you even if you barrack for NZ!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well it was worth a shot. killpc Big Grin

clap

Hehehe... as one who has 'hunted' mobs of goats and then bombed them up (ie killed as many as we could) I guess I'm not in a position to comment...

Crikey, I though deer hunters/shooters had problems with definitions, so called 'ethics' and so on... perhaps I should add that Ive done the same with fallow deer where they were a pest.

Anyway, back to the topic, 'who's been killing what?'

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
For you Cat lovers clap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAu4pZB0J3E

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Nice kitty explosion!

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have a go at answering the Hunting/Shooting question seriously.

At times I've been both, except I'd change/add shooter to killer.
I've done my fair share of bombing up goats as pest control, and while it may not fall into the catergory of hunting, my hunting ability has enabled me to kill more and better than most of those around me who've tagged along.
When serious killing is required, a hunter will always perform better, getting closer to a mob, chooseing the right animals to kill first and good shooting ability will mean less reloading, less wasted time and more dead animals.
I know shooter is used in a derogatorie manor, but in reality there's not many who dont fit that description at some time.

Posts: 4254 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shanks, enter the debate about hunting v shooting v killing at your peril dancing

Then there's calibre choice, bullet choice, range and a whole range of variables, including whether the prey in question is a 'noble' animal or not (buggered if I know what a 'noble' animal is, (to me a deer is no different to a goat) but others think differently).

Oh, and never, ever mention shooting deer using a spotlight where it's legal - you'll be in more shit than your wife could ever throw at you Smiler

There are so many 'Ethics Nazi's' out there who will wade into the debate and tell you in all seriousness that what you're doing is WRONG, it'll keep you amused for hours.

I just keep on doing what I've done for years, and ignore the Ethics Nazi's.

Have fun

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
And we know where 99% of the EN`s reside!

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Problem animals have to be controled when you farm. Feral cats take many game birds. Stray dogs and chickens definately don't mix. Feral hogs and traffic don't mix. It's best to shoot and not tell town folks.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote