New
Find
Notify
Tools

feeding problems with my M96
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Sometimes in the mists of a mob of pigs my M96 fails to feed. It picks up the round but drives it into the front of the magazine. I then have to push down on the rear of the round to lift the nose up.I'm thinking it needs a tougher mag spring. Anybody know where I can get one?

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes
Is this with round nose bullets or spitzers?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Maybe you need to clean the accumulated crud out of the magazine and spray it with a silicone type lubricant inside . This could help , worked on a mates 96 that had similar troubles.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Spitzter bullets.
I pulled the rifle apart last night and the mag was pretty clean. I'll give it a spray however and see how it goes.

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I shot a M96 in Service Rifle matches to the point of wearing out a barrel and in all that time I only had feed problems with short bullets of 120gn or less.
The longer bullets nose comes up out of the mag and hits the feed ramp instantaniously while the shorter ones tend to have the nose pushed down by the bolt. Make up some dummies and push them forward in the mag to touch the front leaving a gap to the rear and see if the feed problem persists.
My 38 sporter works best with light bullets and having the rounds set forward in the mag. Recoil then keeps them there.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thats BA, I was using highlander loads (140gr).