Find
Notify
Tools

275 grs Woodleigh for 35 Whelen?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello.
I can get hold of the 275 grs Woodleigh PP here in Norway for my 35 Whelen.
So far I have used the 250 grs both RN and PP with exellent result on moose and red deer.
Those bullets are not in stock and wont be for a long time, but the 275 grs are on the shelf right now.

Do you guys have any experience loading and using the 275 grs in the 35 Whelen?
And if yes, I need loading data as well.
We use mostly Norma and Vithavouri powders, but many of the American powders are available as well (at least for a time beeing).
Any good advice are apreciated.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Hello Arild,

I have or had some 275 gr Hornady .35 cal bullets but have never tried them in my Remington 700 Classic .35 Whelen.
I have fired some 300 gr. Barnes Original bullets in the Whelen and, despite the slow twist and comments to the contrary, they stabilize perfectly. I have only fired them at a low velocity of @2100+ fps and they shoot, usually, in .75". I am not sure where they are or I would measure their length.
What is the twist rate on your .35 Whelen? I think the caliber is very underappreciated and am amazed it kind of came and went and now is not often used or even talked about much. Good luck on your reloading efforts.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
Go to Woodleigh's website and ask them. That is what I did for their 350gr,PP for the 375 Ruger. They will e-mail you back in a couple days. List what powders you intend to use and they will give you min. and max. powder charge with velocities.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think, if I remember correctly, that Elmer Keith was a big fan of the 270 gr bullets, in the 35 Whelen, they were Speer, again if I remember correctly.

For inside of 200 yards I do not see why the 275 Woodleighs would not work...

But, as has been suggesteed I would contact Woodleigh, as they are the ones making them... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys, will do that.

My Whelen is a Ruger MK II with a 22" Shilen barrel, twist is 1-14.

Just love the rifle and caliber.
This is my "go to" moose rifle, but it also doubles up on red deer, fallow and boar as well.

The supply of bullets tend to be so and so this days, so I was concidering stacking up on those 275 grs Woodies .

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

Arild, have you tried contacting www.woodleighbullets.com.au and purchasing some of the bullets you require, directly from them?

Hope that helps

FYI Arild, I use the 250grn PP (.358") Woodleighs in my .350 Rem Mag rifle, with similar great results!

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote