New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any "Sporting Shooters" out there ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a read of an article in the September edition of "Sporting Shooter" called "Mixing It Up" and another in the October edition entitled "The Territory's Finest" .
Let me know if you can find anything "sporting" about taking 8 - 10 shots to kill a buff or scrub bull with a .30/30 or .44 Magnum will you ? homer

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can think of is that they are so deperate for new stories, that they will print anything. Unlike the other 'shooters magazine', that just recycles its stories.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Is that the mag Nick Harvey writes for?? We get guns&game mag over here its a good mag

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Haha yep.
You see more gut-shot game than you can poke a stick at in there too.
I certainly wouldn't be publishing those pictures if they were mine.
Just makes me cringe.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fenring
posted Hide Post
I gave up buying gun mags years ago - just the same stories over and over again.

Fast hairy dogs ROOL!

Posts: 131 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...and shooting Rusa trophies from a car. In the same story he says how hard they are to hunt.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the one. You know, the one where the 'technical editor' must write most of his own questions. Or loudly sings the praises of the latest and greatest WSSM or whatever.
My personal favourite was the one a few months ago, where he answered a question about adequate calibers for goats / deer saying the 243 was the smallest he would use. Fair enough, But then in the same mag is an article by him about shooting red deer with a 220 swift.
Maybe we should ask him a question about chainsaw safety?

Cheers, Dave

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Nick's defense I think the rules of the game for technical editors in Australia go like this :-
Bag the product and we'll never send you anything else for review .
A few importers have the shooting game stitched up in Oz and there's no way he can afford to offend them . You've got to learn to read between the lines with Nick . There are usually subtle comments that will indicate if he thinks something is a P.O.S. .
Compare his reviews with some of the crap in other shooting mags and you'll learn to appreciate them I reckon . At least he will give you a real indication of how a rifle can shoot with good handloads .
Who would buy a varminter based on the fact that it will shoot 1 1/2 inch groups with factory loads ? That's the standard of review we get in some mags .
I reckon without him that mag would fold .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bushchook. He cant go bagging any products or the major importers will dump on him. The other thing which I often see on magazines is with some writers ,all their shots are off hand snap shots at running game at 250 yards and of course ,they got him in the shoulder, neck or spine etc with one shot just as they intended to. This was always at the end of a 4km run.

Sympathy please ,I have champagne tastes and beer budget

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushchook, I can see your point, but I am so sick of running into poor suckers at the range, or in the field, who have bought utter crap based on the recommendations of these wankers.
One of the more famous comments I have heard was at an ADA hunter training camp, where one of the lecturers was heard to say, "if you can't handle a .458, then you shouldn't be hunting!".
Yep, a fount of knowledge, right there!
People, mostly newcomers, spend hard earned money based on these recommendations. They shouldn't have to read between the lines.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambar 9.3 ,
Can't argue with that .
I wish some of the hunting mags had the balls to do comparative tests the way car and 4WD mags do . Those guys don't pull any punches and tell you if the vehicle is a piece of crap .
Australian Shooter gets my award for least informative product reviews though . That's not a shot at Brendan Atkinson , the reviews just aren't comprehensive enough .
Most gun stores (in W.A. at least ) carry bugger all in the way of stock and it's hard making a purchasing decision on a firearm you can't see .Good reviews would make a difference .
They reckon that Japanese condom sizes start at large and go upwards .Aussie reviews of shooting equipment start at good and just get better .

Wilbur Smith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted Hide Post
Guns and Game is better value than SS in MHO. Briel Jackson seems to be fairly well informed as editor. And Andy Montgomery seems to know his gear.

How was the article on rabbit sniping in the last Sporting Shooter?

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Do you guys get New Zealand hunting mags in OZ? rod&rifle,outdoor

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T.P. ,
Can't recall seeing them .

Wilbur Smith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember seeing one a while ago called, I think, NZ Guns. Not bad, from memory. Haven't seen it since.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreybeardBushman:
How was the article on rabbit sniping in the last Sporting Shooter?

Haven't bothered reading it . Sounded like an article for "newbies".

Wilbur Smith

One of Us
Picture of GreybeardBushman
posted Hide Post
Definitely!!

Posts: 728 | Location: The Wimmera, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote