Notify
Tools

Aussie shooting icon had passed away.
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Vale Nick Harvey

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep he was an icon all right. can remember reading many of his articles over the years and used his reloading manual more than any other.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bakes.

Years ago Sambar02/Ian Tanner sent me a box full of Aussie magazines. I very much enjoyed Nicks writings.

At 92, he didn't miss much in his life.

RIP

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember Nick from my days as a teenager when first getting into hunting / shooting and later, handloading. I wasn't the closest follower but found some of his material worthwhile. He had certainly done it all and his technical advice was based on a huge knowledge base. A guy in that rare league of the few who could make a living from that lifestyle.
Thanks for everything that helped me along Nick. I hope they put you onto some great hunting posses up there in the happy hunting grounds.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Thanks Bakes.

Years ago Sambar02/Ian Tanner sent me a box full of Aussie magazines. I very much enjoyed Nicks writings.

At 92, he didn't miss much in his life.

RIP

George

Yes mate, he had a good innings.

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it.

What amazed me was that Nick stayed in the writing game almost until the end.

Colin Shadbolt may have lived to an even greater age but I haven't heard much of him for the past 40 years.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I, too, am sorry to hear it. I know he was a gun writer of great stature in Australia and had one of his fine loading manuals along the way.
And I learned another very useful word of Aussie slang: "larrikin." Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really relevant to this thread, but for the information of those who knew her, my lovely wife, Shirley, also passed away on 21 February. Died at home with me in the sunshine. A blessed release.

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, I know from what you have said on here that you and her have had a terrible time. Can only but imagine what you have and are going through.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that mate. My deepest condolences.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
So very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. Life is so unfair at times, all we can do is live life to the fullest while we can and remember the good times. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Nick certainly ran a good life, I have one of his early reloading books and wrote to him once when trying to work up a cast bullet load for my 404. The only resemblance of a group I could get was with a reduced load of the old H4831 which gave the odd delayed ignition. Nick replied saying to not go there due to the danger of 'detonation'.
He was certainly an icon in the industry of his own right. I hadn't known he had travelled so much and mixed with many of the iconic riflemen of our times, Elmer Keith etc.
His knowledge and presence in the sport will certainly be missed. RIP Nick.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I remember reading the Sporting Shooter 'Ask Nick" pages. One month he recommended to a guy to buy a 6.5x55 and said it was THE best all round caliber for Australian animals up to Sambar etc.

The next month a guy asked if he should buy a 6.5x55 for pigs and goats. Uncle Nick said not to waste his time on an obsolete caliber and to buy a .270 instead ! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Nick was a big 270 fan, and spent some time pushing it for use on 'roos and pigs in the '60s.

However,I always thought he reckoned you needed a .30-06 for sambar. That probably influenced my sporterising a Famage/FN Mauser about 1973.

After coming under the influence of Wal Winfer and Ken Pearce, though, I decided maybe something bigger was needed.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was good mates with Ian Morgan ( also gone now) whom I knew. So I have many Nick stories of their hunts together.