Find
Notify
Tools

Want a new varmint gun...... decisions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
What I really want is an old 700 Varmint Special in 223 and/or 243.. Can't find either one.

The old 700VS in 223 I believe had a 1-9 or 1-10 twist bbl. Teh 243 had 1-9 3/4 and a nice 24" bbl

The "new" Remington SPS varmint in 223 has a 26" bbl, (too long), a "lawyer" trigger, and a 1-12 twist bbl

The "new" Remington SPS Tactical, in 223, while it has a 1-9 twist bbl, only has a bbl 20" long, and of course "lawyer" trigger. but both can be had for under $600

The CZ varmint, you have a choice of a 1-7 bbl, or a 1-9 bbl in 24" perfect! (except for the price)

The Weatherby varmint seems to be near perfect. 1-9 24" bbl but a crappy trigger, and not much aftermarket stuff available for it.

What else is out there in a heavy barreled 223 or 243? Don't even mention Savage, i hate that accu-trigger, and I think they are ugly, and there isn't much available for them like aftermarket stocks, triggers, etc. Plus I think they are ugly.

And I don't want to build one, cause I don't want to wait a year to shoot it!

All opinions appreciated, especially if you have 1st hand experience with any of the above.(except Savage)

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haul out the trigger and drop in a Jewell, tune those down to 2 oz. Best $228 I ever spent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a match grade built Rem. 700 w/ 1/8 twist barrel, Jewell trigger, McMillan stock, etc. and it is a fine rifle. However, I also have a Tikka Super Varminter w/ 26" barrel, SS, 1-8 twist and it is a an excellent rifle in all respects. You do not need to do anything to it but work up some good loads and shoot it. Clip/magazine fed, five rounds, crisp 2lb. trigger out of the box, and it is scary accurate. Shoots the Sierra 69, 75, and 80 grain with either RE15 or Varget very well. Excellent rifle for the dollars spent. Find you some LC brass, above powders, Russian/Wolfe 223Mag. primers and seat bullets up close to land and grooves and it will make a believer out of you.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom Rem700 also in a 8 twist! Shoots great, why you haten on savage so much? I'm a Rem snob 2 but, man have you shot them things? SWEET!!!!! and they come with 7 twist, alows you to sling 90g pills! I know you said not to talk about them, but i couldnt help myself!lol... the Teka tactical in .223 comes in a 8 twist, you might want to try one of them. Both of them will be cheeper than building a Custom Rem....
Good luck.. Troy

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kimber

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love it when the "purty rifles" show up and get their clocks cleaned with them "ugly Savages"!! Far and away for the money out of the box for "shootability" the Savages are tough to beat! Next best value out there IMO is the Tikka's! Headturning accuracy right out of the box! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
I love it when the "purty rifles" show up and get their clocks cleaned with them "ugly Savages"!! Far and away for the money out of the box for "shootability" the Savages are tough to beat! Next best value out there IMO is the Tikka's! Headturning accuracy right out of the box! GHD
tu2

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a clean one owner 700 Varmint 222

All of 60-70 rds down the tube....for real...

Just scoped it...gonna shoot it some.....

But may sell it........Duece 14 twist....

Looks the same as it did in 1977....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimber, Calhoun or Cooper if you want to spend some money and wait a while. If you want to shoot it before your grandson thinks it's his, buy a Savage. If you want to go nutso, try a Les Baer AR-15 set-up. Lots of neato stuff to be had for those AR-based guns.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those ugly Savages will enbarrass most of those "pretty guns" at a range for money.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might troll for a 40X Remington in the caliber of your choice. A retired benchrest rifle can sometimes be turned up that will work well with just a stock swap.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote