Find
Notify
Tools

opinions on 6mmbr barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
I am going to set up a savage for 300 and 600 yrd.
shilen barrel 1.062 shank and 6mmbr (maybe norma) .270/.272 neck no turn or neck turn just to clean up the neck.
.o95 to .110 throat. 105/107 gr bullets
1:8 twist
the only length that shilen has listed are 26"
What do you loose between 26" and 28" for 600yrd shooting?
I was told that you do not gain any thing over 26" ?
What do you think?
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hiV,
a palma barrel conture will work also,and come much longer, you could cut it down to any length you want,
at 3,ooo fps with custom barrel you gain 25 fps/per inch of barrel.
i think thats false info about not gaining any mv,over 26 inch.....pure BS...
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a 6mmbr Lapua chamber with a .104" throat for the 105/107's. .272" is the most popular neck diameter for a no turn, 8 twist is right on. As far as barrel length, you can get more velocity over 26", at the tone of about 30-40FPS per inch of barrel out to 28". Beyond that were talking maybe 10-15FPS per inch. I don't think you will be hampered much by a 26" barrel, but I would like to have 28 if it were an option. Some like longer barrels though. ...USE LAPUA BRASS!!!!!

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks, little slow gettin back.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
one thing you may want to consider is, a Douglass barrel. My Reasoning fir saying this is......

Two weeks ago, I was looking for a barrel to build a 6.5x47. I to am building it on a savage action.

I called all the big barrel makers. Douglass was the only one who had reasonable build time. I jumped in the car and drove to Charleston WV. There I found Douglass Barrels.
The people there are amazing, and that is even an understatment. I started by speaking with Stanley Taylor. He is one of the builders at douglass. I spoke to Stanley for about 3 hours. Then they took myself and a friend on a complete tour of the shop. I reacieved such an education on the process of building a barrel. Stanley failed to mention he was 5th in the world in 1000 yd shooting. Wow, I was blown away. I would have never expected it. He is such a nice guy and willing to share anything. He introduced us to Punky, Yes his name was Punky. He was also another gentleman who had been building barrels for Douglas. While speaking to Punky, I found out he had been with AG Douglass and company for 43 years.
I cant even tell you how cool these guys were and the way they treated us. Not to mention I and my buddy had COMPLETE barrels threaded chambered and crowned in 7 days.
When we went down to pick our barrels up, i spoke with the current owner, He was also a very nice guy. He told me, If for some reason the barrel does not shoot, Bring it back and they will build me another one. He garaunteed it to shoot.
To say I was happy with my experience would be an understatement.

I ended up with a SS, 1" no taper barrel, completely ready to install for $429.

Shillen wanted ALOT more than that and a 17 week wait, Krieger would not sell me a drop in barrel for a savage. Bartlien have about a 12-14 week back log.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I had to mention Douglass, as a Premier barrel company and truly a league of gentlman you dont find these days.

jerod

Good Hunting and Good Shooting

It only take 1 Shot

Posts: 301 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks , I have used dougls barrel and not had any complaints. wanted to try someting from others.
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Douglas barrel on a Sako 461 BR action in .222 that shoots like it has eyes. 20/20 eyes!

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have added that I have 3 riflles that are wearing Shilen barrels, one of which pretty much got me called a liar over my velocity(Oehler) claims. The offer is still open VD. Of the 3, 2 of them were shooters right out of the box, the 3rd one had to be sent back to be re-normalized(heat treated) Doug Shilen,who is as straight as an arrow, took care of the problem at no cost to me.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote